1 (edited by iankh 2011-12-10 17:15:50)

Topic: Original Touch Screen Not Responsive

My Chumby touch screen has stopped responding when I tap on anything. Any advice?

I really like my little bean bag one.

Re: Original Touch Screen Not Responsive

Did you try a "restore factory settings"?

I'm not sure how to do that because the screen doesn't respond to any touch.

Really bad calibration can look a lot like a completely unresponsive touchscreen.  If it's just not calibrated, then it would still go into safe mode if you power up while touching the display, since it doesn't care *where* you press it.  If it does that, then it's salvageable.  If not, you'd have to open up the device and see if the touchscreen cable is loose or broken.

If I touch the screen while it's  starting up, it gives me a screen with 3 options. It then doesn't respond to my touching any of the choices.

Ah, this is actually a good thing - that means that it's detecting the touch, but that it's possibly grossly miscalibrated.

Check out this page on the wiki for the next thing to try.

Thank You!

I created a .txt file name according the the wiki with the contents as specified. When I boot up it goes through the normal load routine. How do I get the Chumby to run the file?

What this file does is override the configured touchscreen calibration with the defaults - at that point, you *should* be able navigate through the UI enough to recalibrate.

If it's not working then something else is probably wrong, in which case, I'd encourage you to contact Customer Support directly.

I had the same problem with my original Chumby on 1/2/12.  After getting no live response from Chumby support for two days I finally found this thread.  I reset the chumby to factory defaults and that fixed the problem.  This could have been fixed in a few minutes instead of hours if I had been able to get some responsive support.