Re: "Stub" server scheduled to go live on Wednesday, February 20 2013

demarks51 wrote:

@oh3nwq: Month, Day and Year is not *funny*. It is the way Americans express our dates mostly. It seems logical to me. What month are you talking about then what day of that month and then what year you are in? Can you explain why others think this is funny?

I wouldn't have said that it was 'funny' - surely by now everyone knows that that is the way Americans do dates.
As for logical...no, not really. I'm sure it seems normal and convenient to you, because it's the way it's always been, but it's not actually logical. Day/Month/Year has a logical progression from small unit of time through medium unit to large unit.
Year/Month/Day would be equally logical, although not as convenient. Digital time, for example, is written that way (large unit = hour/medium unit = minute/small unit = second/even smaller unit = tenths of second)

102 (edited by servalan 2013-02-21 13:46:21)

ehertz wrote:

I can force the channel to cycle, by starting with the second widget. It will then move on to widget three. After that, go back to the "official" widget and, of course, get stuck there.

I remember solving a similar problem... I changed the timeout settings in the xml profiles file. YMMV.

From an old post replying to Christian - this is for the off-line mode chumby setup - orig. post & thread here.:

servalan wrote:

BTW - I found my widgets weren't cycling through with your setup... so I edited /mnt/usb/www/xml/profiles to change:

<mode time="1" mode="cooperative"/>
to:
<mode time="120" mode="timeout"/>

altering the mode time to suit - values in seconds.

& here is my profiles file to give you an idea:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<profile >
  <name>offline-mode</name>
  <user username="offline-user">
    <profiles>
      <profile name="offline-mode"  id="offline-mode"/>
    </profiles>
  </user>
 <widget_instances>

<!-- insert your widgets here -->

<widget_instance id="1">
      <widget>
        <name>All-in-One Clock</name>
        <description></description>
        <version>1.0</version>
        <access sendable="false" deleteable="false" access="private" virtualable="false"/>
        <movie href="file:////mnt/usb/www/allinoneclock.swf" contenttype="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>
      </widget>
    </widget_instance>

<widget_instance id="2">
      <widget>
        <name>Internode</name>
        <version>1.0</version>
        <mode time="60" mode="timeout"/>
        <access sendable="false" deleteable="false" access="private" virtualable="false"/>
        <movie href="file:////mnt/usb/www/internode.swf" contenttype="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>
      </widget>
    </widget_instance>

<widget_instance id="3">
      <widget>
        <name>Now Playing</name>
        <version>1.0</version>
        <mode time="60" mode="timeout"/>
        <movie href="file:////mnt/usb/www/nowplaying.swf" contenttype="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>
      </widget>
    </widget_instance>

<widget_instance id="4">
      <widget>
        <name>Radio Paradise</name>
        <version>1.0</version>
        <movie href="file:////mnt/usb/www/radioparadise.swf" contenttype="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>
      </widget>
    </widget_instance>

</widget_instances>
</profile>

I too use linode and love their service.  Duane, it's interesting that is who you chose for the new stuff!

demarks51 wrote:

@oh3nwq: Month, Day and Year is not *funny*. It is the way Americans express our dates mostly. It seems logical to me. What month are you talking about then what day of that month and then what year you are in? Can you explain why others think this is funny? I would say Chumby is an American product BUT it was manufactured in China. Please pass the soy sauce!
Oh BTW weeks DO begin with Sunday (the first day of the week). Saturday is the 7th day and Sunday the first day. It's been that way since creation. Have they changed that in Europe for some reason?

FWIW, Since I'm a software engineer, I tend to agree with the "non standard" way of expressing dates as year/month/day.

Most significant bit first, year, on the way down to the most precision, year->month->day->hour->minute->second, etc.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

@servalan: In reading through what you have done, it looks like this requires putting your modified scripts on a USB drive. Is that correct? Ideally, I would like to avoid doing that, because on my C1 and I3.5, there is only a single USB port which I use for a hardwired network connection. So that's why I was hoping to find a way to do everything internally in the mnt/storage directory.

Duane wrote:

I'm thinking something like:

window.onload = function() {
  window.location = "http://www.fsb.ru";
}

I believe in keeping things local,  don't  you?

Like!

ehertz wrote:

@servalan: In reading through what you have done, it looks like this requires putting your modified scripts on a USB drive. Is that correct? Ideally, I would like to avoid doing that, because on my C1 and I3.5, there is only a single USB port which I use for a hardwired network connection. So that's why I was hoping to find a way to do everything internally in the mnt/storage directory.

Yes, I have all my chumby goo on a USB stick along with a shedload of podcasts.

Why don't you start a new thread & detail exactly what you want to do & the restraints you have & we can see if there is a hack which will suit you?

My comments on month date year were really supposed to be somewhat tougue in cheeck. I wasn't really trying to release anything flamable. I certainly respect our friends from across the sea. I concede that Year Month and Day etc seem more logical upon further consideration. I still maintain the Sunday is the first day although many calendars start with Monday and put Sa and Su in the weekend category.

Now are next debate will be which is proper side of street to drive on? right or left
Just kidding!

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

demarks51 wrote:

Now are next debate will be which is proper side of street to drive on? right or left
Just kidding!

Proper paper sizes (A4 etc.) - vs. the insane US 'system'. wink

Duane - The I8 I mentioned prior is now showing the "Star Trek" widget.

And about my other question....

I have a couple of new I8s (x2) in storage that I hope to bring online at some point. Have we discussed how that process changes now?

Hmmm, I thought I answered that.  Just turn them on and connect to your network.  They won't require activation until the full service returns.

Hopefully they have a usable firmware version - I'm not currently supporting firmware updates.  The firmware images are posted online, I just don't have links to them yet.

Noted.

Thank you very much.

I am quite sure I have mentioned it before, but it is worth mentioning again. Your support is appreciated. Thank you for doing what you are doing.

Duane wrote:

I've also discovered a Russian website that's leeching off the service, posting links to our widgets but claiming them as their own.   I am working on a *very* special treat for them.

Good for you! and BTW, you have peaked my curiosity to what this special treat may be, all their widgets now point to Hamster Dance...LOL

Duane, sorry I called you blue octy yesterday.  I didn't see your name above it.  I was so distraught over my Chumby.  So what I've read so far, some people have saved their widgets to a usb and are able to use them?  Are there any widgets available now other than the clock?

@mnyakature - no worries, I get called all sorts of things.

As of 2/21 (21/2 for you Europeans) 7:10pm PST, there are 42,402 devices hitting the server.

115 (edited by demarks51 2013-02-21 19:17:45)

Let's update the score:

Blue Octy- 42,402
Mike Sharpe- Zero

"Oops, Maybe Duane really knows what he is doing."

New flash:
Chumbies are selling like hotcakes online. Sellers cannot keep up with demand. There is just not enough to go around. (ha!)

Duane: Really enjoy your wit.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

I have one interesting case - it looks like a Falconwing with a bad power supply. It boots up, pulls down a Control Panel, then appears to reboot.  It's done it over 600 times.  You'd think someone would notice.

I blocked the IP to get it to stop on the "Can't download the CP" screen, and that stopped it for a while. Either it still rebooted again due to the power supply, or someone restarted it manually.  Maybe they really like the "bloop bloop" sound.

Duane wrote:

I have one interesting case - it looks like a Falconwing with a bad power supply. It boots up, pulls down a Control Panel, then appears to reboot.  It's done it over 600 times.  You'd think someone would notice.

I blocked the IP to get it to stop on the "Can't download the CP" screen, and that stopped it for a while. Either it still rebooted again due to the power supply, or someone restarted it manually.  Maybe they really like the "bloop bloop" sound.

In fairness, the "bloop bloop" sound is pretty awesome.

Do you have the ability/interest/rights to hack on the CP at all as part of this project?  Caching a local copy of the CP and only downloading a new one if the http HEAD request shows a changed resource would seem like a natural way to keep the bandwidth costs down...

Yes, after the server stuff settles down a bit (I'm still watching the logs and deploying changes periodically to reduce the bandwidth), the next step is to make some changes to the Control Panels to deal with the new reality, plus add some things for which I'm getting requests that make sense to do now rather than later, available time withstanding.

Unfortunately, what you're describing requires a firmware change, since the Control Panel isn't run until after its downloaded and the downloader does not have the logic you've outlined.  Maybe some day we'll take a run at the firmware too.

I'm new to this forum and hoping you can assist me....Chumby stopped working and I don't know what to do to get it back online.  hlamom@aol.com

hlamom wrote:

I'm new to this forum and hoping you can assist me....Chumby stopped working and I don't know what to do to get it back online.  hlamom@aol.com

What happened?  Does your Chumby turn on?  What Chumby do you have?  More info would be helpful

Kudos's to Duane and crew for the continued success in keeping the Chumby and Insignia alive. Got your reboot message the other morning all went fine. I have a I8 with the C8 software and as others have posted in regards to Pandora not allowing you to exit using the X in upper right corner I'v discovered another issue while using Pandora, its the sleep timer function its not working when listening to Panora. It seems to work with the other music options such as iHeart , shoutcast or blue octy radio. Just a FYI letting you know about bugs/issues that have been discovered.  Thanks again for your continued efforts.

I noticed the main page mentioned that the stub service would support chumby lite.  I thought I read another post where it may not.  Does anything need to be updated to move lite to the stub service?  Even if it mean modifying something directly in the apk?

Duane wrote:

I've also discovered a Russian website that's leeching off the service, posting links to our widgets but claiming them as their own.   I am working on a *very* special treat for them.

whack their peepees, Duane!

and please figure a way for us to get to see what you send them... but without whacking our peepees, though!

msharp42 wrote:

mnyakatura - download the zip file from here : http://sourceforge.net/projects/zurk/fi … rce=navbar
and put it on a blank usb disk. now put the blank usb disk into your chumby. and boot up your chumby.
that should get you started.

Thanks msharp42, I will try this.  Thanks for your help.

I rebooted my Chumby and I can still only get the space clock.  How can I get weather and Pandora back?

Also,  why does the forum thread list the oldest posts at the beginning instead of the newest posts?