Topic: "Stub" server scheduled to go live on Wednesday, February 20 2013

Barring unforeseen circumstances, we'll be switching over all devices to the new server on Wednesday, February 20th not sure yet what time).

If you'd like to try the new server, it's currently hosted at http://www.blueocty.com - before the switch, you can point your device to it by adding this line to your hosts file:

192.81.128.27 www.chumby.com xml.chumby.com widgets.chumby.com content.chumby.com music.chumby.com insignia.chumby.com pandora.chumby.com ping.chumby.com

Re: "Stub" server scheduled to go live on Wednesday, February 20 2013

My Insignia 8 has been running the Chumby 8 firmware for a while, and the only time I was reminded of it being an Insignia was briefly during boot-up.

Just gave the new server mentioned above a quick test, and things came up just fine in the new world order.... But I had a little surprise.  The CP reverted to the Insignia version!  Will I be able to go back to the C8 version after the smoke clears?

Please email the ID of your device so I can see how it's talking to the server, and I'll see what I can do.

Ah - OK, I see what it's doing.  I should be able to fix this before launch.

Perfect.  Thank you very much!

Duane wrote:

Ah - OK, I see what it's doing.  I should be able to fix this before launch.

Yay!

I too, have an I8, hacked to a C8.  So I would probably see the same thing tomorrow  smile

Well, there are apparently several different hacks for make I8s seem like C8.  One hack that is already supported spoofs the C8 hardware version when asking for a Control Panel.  The other hack sends the I8 hardware version, but sends a C8 "configname" - I just need to add that case to the CP logic.

In the "real" system this is handled by a rather complex system which allows very fine-grain control over which Control Panel is sent to which specific device signature, with which firmware, for which user.  The stub server is much simplified and is therefore missing a few of the corner cases.

... to boldly go where no Chumby has gone before... good luck with the switch, Duane.

anville wrote:

Perfect.  Thank you very much!

OK, please go ahead and reboot and see if it's fixed.

Looks good.  Happy I will still have the ChumBrowser and the richer alarm options.  Thanks again.

As of 10:30am PST, 6517 chumbys are hitting the new server - the domain change is still propagating.

As of 10:45am PST, 7997 chumbys

My C1 Chumby is showing a "Star Trek" theme'd clock. One that I did not select. Is this normal behavior? Just verifying.

Along those same lines...

My I8s (two) with hacked control panel (not sure which method employed) to use C8 control panel, appear as normal.

p.s. That was me that tweeted moments ago.

The clock you're seeing is normal behavior for the "stub" service.

Widgets have been effectively disabled for now - everyone gets this one until we restore the full service.

As 11:01am PST, we crossed 10,000 chumbys hitting the new server

Keep up the good work!

Is it too soon to reflect on the chumby of the past given this occasion?

If so, personally, I would be interested in your thoughts perhaps at a later date.

Just learning about this after seeing the a other clock then normal.
And hope the service can be restored in the near future.

Until that, is there a way to keep my own made widgets working?
I have my own web server, (Sorry it's at my home, so can't serve everyone) that I could use...

Good luck.
Richard

New server updated my I8 and I3.5 here in AZ on cox.net.

Question....how will widget maintenance be done in the future? It is done now by logging onto a website (insignia in my case).

Just curious.

Thanks again for all your hard work Duane and DoKJones and everyone else who helps out!!

19 (edited by carldc 2013-02-20 11:43:37)

My office Chumby (classic) seems to have updated flawlessly in the few minutes I was out of the office around 2pm (ET). Even kept playing the internet radio I had on. smile

Good work Duane and everyone else involved! Thanks for all the work you've put into saving our Chumbys. I look forward to the day when the DONATE! link goes live!

All I get on my Chumby 8 is a white screen.  It goes through it's normal startup and even shows it's loading one of my channels and then the screen goes white and then my poor Chumby just sits there with a blank look on it's face. Maybe I need to wait a little longer.  I've rebooted 4 times in the past half hour, but still nothing happening.

Success!  Chumby is back up and happy!

As of 12:40pm PST, we have 18,881 devices hitting the server

EDIT: As of 1:05pm PST, we've passed 20,000 devices.

Will my Chumby One update automatically or should I reboot it?

Mine booted right up. Miss my google calendar widget. Great job Duane keeping Chumby alive

Slightly off topic maybe here but.....  With the stock clock widget being the only one available online is there a risk of screen burn in?  I'm not sure what kind of screen my Chumby One has.