Re: Picasa web album forgets link

Plank wrote:

I have the loading problem too but it seems to fall of deaf ears.  Old galleries work, new don't on my 3.5 devices.

What do you mean by 'Old Galleries'?

total wrote:

As a backup I copied the same pictures
to memory card but I failed to find a widget which I could add to my channel to look for pictures from memory
card and then show then as a slide show. Is there any?

There is one that plays photos from a USB drive: http://www.chumby.com/guide/widget/USB%20Photo

Snuffy2 wrote:
Plank wrote:

I have the loading problem too but it seems to fall of deaf ears.  Old galleries work, new don't on my 3.5 devices.

What do you mean by 'Old Galleries'?

Picasa Web albums created pre October 2011

I am having a problem with customizing the PICASA widget using the URL (https://picasaweb.google.com/jordanjm2/ … directlink) provided by Picasa.  I keep getting a message saying "Cannot open album.  Please verify the URL." 

I currently have an accepted URL (http://picasaweb.google.com/jordanjm2/2 … gIbLnfSUPw) that I entered when I first bought the product (~1 yr ago) and it still works today. 

However, when I cut and paste that same URL that works today and try to save I get the exact same error message. 

Please advise.  Jim

I wonder -- did you guys at Chumby/Dash change something, or did Picasa change? Picasa stopped working on all all of my three devices (album failed to load). And when I try to paste a link to my album in the "Customize App" it gives an error message "Cannot open album.  Please verify the URL.".

Well I verified the URL. It works. I even canceled it a generated it again (within Picasa). Tried it again n the Dash. Same error message. Most frustrating...

31 (edited by kgeissler 2012-02-13 06:01:53)

The Picasa widget works for me, it doesn't forget my link.  What it does do, however, is after cycling through 4 pictures or so, will stop responding.

For what it is worth, most of my albums are set to private, only being shared with people who have the link.  For those of you whose widget isn't working, try setting your privacy settings to that.

Here are a couple of things which I've noticed:

1) Make sure your album is set to either "Limited, anyone with the link" or "Public on the web"
2) When copying the link, you may need to remove the "s" from "https" so that it is just "http://"
3) I've had it forget the link when I've modified the widget options from the Chumby.  For example, if I change the clock from large to small, it will continue to play for a while, but the next time it loads the widget it has forgotten the URL, and I have to go back in and re-add the URL.

Having the same issues. I have brand new Chumby8 ( s: 1.8.2, f: 1.8.3883, h: 9.9 )
I added the Picasa widget to a new channel, and gave it a direct link to the album, which was set to limited visibility ( anyone with the link ). The link was HTTPS, and the widget worked fine.

I then tapped on the device to configure the widget. The device configuration screen has far more options then the web based configuration screen. I changed a few options, and the widget worked in the channel for awhile.

Later, I noticed the "Loading image list..." screen for about 30s, before the widget was skipped and the channel moved on to other widgets.

I used the device to open the channel, and play just the picasa widget, I get the "Loading image list..." screen forever. I also see the 'tap for options' at the bottom. I tried tapping, but the options won't come up.

I went onto chumby.com, and customized the widget, the URL field was blank again.

Something is wrong with how this widget persists it's information. I don't know how chumby widgets sync between server and local client settings, but I would say one thing is overwriting the other.

Please look into this. Or is it possible to d/l this widget's source and look into the problem ourselves? Any logging?

Are you using the Picasa Web Albums widget or the Picasa Media Player widget?  If it's the former, Duane might be able to chime in on the possibility of fixing it or publishing the source.  If it's the Media Player, the author has posted his e-mail in the comments (scroll to the bottom) to contact if you're having trouble.

Using the Chumby labs Picasa Web Albums.

I ended up deleting the widget from the channel via chumby.com, and the waiting for the channel to synch ( posted about the problem here  ( thanks Duane for the response).
Once the channel was cleared of the widget, I re-added it (via chumby.com). Set the URL to be plain old HTTP. It worked for 36hrs at least, then, after giving the device as a gift, I edited the Picasa web albums to remove the picasa logo ( through the Chumby8 interface). Next time I looked at the device, it was back to "Loading image list..."

There's some problem here, where if you edit the widget locally, it conflicts or somehow causes the original URL to be lost.

Also note, the 'local' version of the widget lets you do complicated things like log into your picasa account and pick an album. I wonder if the 'simple' config is being overwritten by a blank 'complicated' config. i.e, the "Give us a URL to the album' vs the 'give us a logon and pw to your picasa album and tell us which album to play'...

Anyway for me to look at how these settings are stored, and compare them between time slices? Are they XML files sitting in a directory somewhere?

My current plan is to use the chumby8 solely to add the widget to the channel and manage it.

Unfortunately, step 1 has had issues. I removed the widget from my channel. Then I went to Chumby8 home, and apps, and added the Picasa Web Albums to my channel. It said successfully added. I went back to home, channel list, and opened my channel. The widget isn't there.

Maybe this is tied to the same slow synch Duane mentioned in my other thread.

I'm going to wait for it to appear in my channel, and then try to solely configure it on the client. See what happens. I have a theory the server side customize may be persisting things in a way the client side options dont.

One way to force a channel to reload is to change to another channel, then back to the original one.

Update: I attempted to purely remove/add the Picasa widget using the Chumby8 client. After setting it up using my username/password for Picasa, and pick the album to use in the slideshow, it eventually forgot the information again.

I'm going to remove and add it from the Chumby.com and try not to have anyone adjust it's settings. It seems like, adjusting the settings clientside means next server fetch, it will lose it's info.