Topic: Picasa web album forgets link

hey there.

I have a problem with the picasa web album  app.I haven't turned on my Chumby for a couple of months, and now the widget seems to forget the link to the picasa album after a  few hours.  its working for a short period of time, then the text box in the settings of the widget on the Chumby web site is  empty and the widget on the  device  doesn't stop to write " loading picture list" or so..

any ideas?

please help  me, I'd love to use the widget again,

best Tobi

Re: Picasa web album forgets link

We're looking into this matter and I'll post something when/if we find anything

I'm seeing the same problem.  Are there any updates for this error?

Bumping this topic up.  Can somebody please post with what the next step is to getting this resolved?  I tried using the Picasa web app and immediately noticed the same issue, or perhaps it is different -- my screen freezes on "Loading image list..." on both an Infocast 8" and 3.5".

Thanks,
Stu

sandSKout wrote:

Bumping this topic up.  Can somebody please post with what the next step is to getting this resolved?  I tried using the Picasa web app and immediately noticed the same issue, or perhaps it is different -- my screen freezes on "Loading image list..." on both an Infocast 8" and 3.5".

Thanks,
Stu

I am unable to reproduce this on either of my Infocasts. Do you have a Picasa url you would feel comfortable sharing with me that I could test and hopefully reproduce the problem in an attempt to get it fixed?

Thanks, ChumbyRoss, I sent the URL to you via private message.  I appreciate the help.  Both my units ran most of the day yesterday showing the pics correctly if I left them alone, but if I switch to a different channel then back that seems to break the Picasa URL.

Stu

I am having a similar problem.  Keep getting not a valid URL even though I can paste it into my web browser and it works just fine.  Please help.

I am also having this issue.  I plugin a valid URL, it works fine for a while and then it stops working and I get the "Loading..." message.

When I go back to customize the app the URL field is blank.

Too bad, when it does work it seems nice.

I'm the one that bumped this topic up a couple of weeks ago and thought I would post an update.  Despite my original problem, I have not had a single problem with Picasaweb photos loading on any of the 4 Infocasts I gave as Christmas presents.  Go figure.  I have the Picasa album sharing option set to "anyone with the link."  Maybe it will break again tomorrow, but right now all is well and has been since 12/25. 

Stu

Well, Stu inspired me to try this app again.  When I went back to the channel it was stuck at "Loading image list..."  So I re-entered the url (also set as anyone with link) and I'll keep an eye on it.

One thing I noticed was that when logging into Picasa web albums Google asked me to link my albums with a pubic profile.  I hadn't seen that before as I don't use the web albums all that often.  I wonder if that had any bearing on this problem.

Doug

Doug, I kept ignoring the profile link popup whenever I logged in from the browser, then finally gave in and let it link the other day.  So either way, my Picasaweb loads have been working fine on the Infocast on both sides of my linked vs non-linked mode.  So I'm inclined to think that's not an issue.

Stu

I tried the app again and within 15 minutes it "lost" the connection to the web album.  So this time I went back to the Album and reset the secret link.  After updating the URL in the app it's worked flawlessly for two days now.

I'm still not sure what caused this behavior, or what I did differently to fix it.

Doug

I am having this problem, too. I have my album set to have a secret link and after a certain amount of time - between 15 minutes and 3 hours - the "Loading image list..." message pops up and the widget never again loads images unless I come back to the web site and reload.

I'm going to reset the link to see if that makes a difference, but in the meantime... did anyone figure out why this was going on? It's sort of frustrating and is really reducing the "wife acceptance factor" of my Chumby purchase. sad

I reset the secure album link, deleted the widget and re-added it with the new link, and it seems to be stable. At least for the last 12 hours or so.

I did see the same thing Doug did with being prompted to add web albums to my profile when I logged in. I did that, then I updated the link. I don't know if it had anything to do with the issue I saw, but since it was mentioned earlier I thought it interesting that I saw the same behavior and thought I'd mention it.

I am having the same problem as well. Can anyone confirm that any solution has worked beyond 12hours?

It has been very embarassing, I gave a couple of Sony Dashes (=Sony Chumby) to relatives as networked photoframes. And the next day screen goes blank with the never ending "loading" message.

Ok. I tried it a the proposed solution does not solve the problem. However here are a few observations:
* If I change the channel often it will forget the link faster (less than 6 hours)
* If I never set a Dash to the channel which contains the Picasa App, it does not forget the link (Had three channels with Picasa web albums in each, the only one which didn't forget was the one I didn't use)
* Even if I do not change the channel, or touch the dash, it will still forget the link after a while (a couple of days or something).

This seems like such an easy thing for the App programmer to solve! I perhaps could do a script to re-enter the link in the app configuration box every day -- but that would be so not-elegant.

Please, whoever is responsible for this app, take notice.

We have been attempting to reproduce this problem in house here, but so far we have been unsuccessful. Is anyone else still seeing this issue after the last update of this app?

I have the same issue. I have chumby 8. The Picasa widget forgets the URL every day. Haven't figured out
in which conditions the URL disappers. The widget is in my channel which I restart a couple of times per day
via sheduled task.

As I plan to give this chumby away as a present it's very inconvenient. As a backup I copied the same pictures
to memory card but I failed to find a widget which I could add to my channel to look for pictures from memory
card and then show then as a slide show. Is there any?

-total
   Since our last fix of this app, we have been unable to reproduce the issue. Is there anything you can think of that may be different about your album than most others?  Number of pictures, size of pictures etc?

-chumbyross

My Picasa Web Album has only ~20 pictures. Images are quite small, between 50kB-4MB. Some images have caption, some not. Album privacy is set to "Limited, anyone with the link".

The Picasa Web widget I added into a channel which I start twice per day.

The only thing that I could think of the the fact that I was constantly adding/removing, reordering images in Picasa Web Album and also installing/removing other widgets to chumby. The past 24 hours it has been working ok in which time I haven't done any changes to chumby or to the Web Album.

Sigh ... I'm seeing this behavior as well. I reset the link tonight on chumby.com, verified that the pics were displaying properly on my Chumby ... and within 10 minutes, the link was "forgotten." More frustrating, my parents (who have a Chumby OS-fueled Sony Dash to see pics of their granddaughter) are having similar problems.

We are still unable to reproduce this in house, but we are reopening the bug in an attempt to do so.

-chumbyross

Just adding that I have the same problem.  Any progress being made?

Just got a new Chumby and having the same issues as described above.

It's a Picasa web album set as "Anyone with the link." There are just over 400 pics in the album. The chumby is set with Tasks to exit night mode in the AM, then start the channel with Just Picasa in it a minute later and in the evening, set the Chumby to night mode.

This is going to be an xmas gift for grandparents to see pics of my kids. Wanted this to be a set it and forget it type setup where we can upload new pics and they'll just show up.

Most times when it starts the album the Picasa app just hangs on Loading Image List. When I look at the link, it is blank. If I reenter the link it will remember it for a bit but eventually it just goes blank again.

Frustrating and definitely not able to just give it as a gift and trust it will work.

Any advice to fix this?

I have the loading problem too but it seems to fall of deaf ears.  Old galleries work, new don't on my 3.5 devices.