Topic: Offline Control Panel

As much as I love my chumby one, it sometimes has trouble connecting to the internet from my nightstand to use as an alarm clock.

It appears that the chumby does not save a copy of the control panel, so each time you reboot it needs to download it. After it's downloaded, it can work fine without the internet (ie for alarms, radio), but until you initially connect, it can only do the basic clock.

I assume I could probably transfer the controlpanel.swf to a thumb drive to use in these cases, but it'd be nice to have this enabled by default.

Re: Offline Control Panel

There's a hack in this thread to invoke the built-in Control Panel in a more functional form.

Hi Duane,

Thanks for this trick.

Is  there an easy way to allow playing widgets offline from the USB stick.

I would like to buy the Chumby as a present for a friend, but he doesn't have an internet connection.
The FM-radio, some clock widgets, and playing music would be enought to make the chumby an excellent present.

thanks for any pointers.

Please note, that  I am a chumby newbie (though I'm quite familier with linux), I just got my own last Tuesday

Have a look around in this forum for Christian's offline Chumby idea. It is not too difficult to install and works nicely most of the time.

thanks.
I'll look at it. I just wondered if his hack is still state of the art as it is already some months old and as I did not see an updated version of it.

Hm

I can't get this fix to work

In fact it almost works:

I just need a connection during power up.
Then I can disconnect from the network and the widgets will play.

If not I'll be stuck at the 'choose a nw connection' dialog

In the original thread about the offline mode I went into more detail about my problem.