26 (edited by SilverMarc 2008-06-23 06:07:31)

Re: Chumby Business Model

Sunday's NY Times magazine's "Consumed" section presented the Chumby...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/magaz … amp;st=nyt

I like to simply call it an "IDD" (Internet Delivery Device).

--Marc
  June 23, 2008 @ 10:06 AM
  N40° 46.565'  W073° 58.756'

Marc Silverman
New York City
SilverMarc.com | Chumbian.com
MY POWER TEAM: Macintosh, iPhone, Chumby, Geocaching, WheresGeorge.

joltdude wrote:

People can express their opinions without attacking people.. I know a lot of suggestions are in consideration....
But why would you buy an ad supported device and then go. Oh i "demand" it without ads...

Oh, my.

Who's demanding?  People are just giving their opinions, as the forum name of "product suggestions" would suggest.

joltdude wrote:

...clinched the sale because I wanted an alarm clock, and a music streaming device.. and the LCD philips picture frame alarm clock didnt quite cut it.

Okay, dude...imagine trying to get the time from your alarm clock to see how late you are for the train--but it's blocked from you while you are forced to watch an ad showing some dudette trying on some Tampax?  While we're at it, your sports stream is also held up so you can hear her talk about how fresh and clean she feels/smells...like walking in a field of daisies...cue the light orchestral sounds....

Nevermind.  I bet the guys reading this are thinking "bring it on."  :-/

Vice President of Duane's Chumby Buddies Inc, Pro-Clock faction                       Clocks are life; we all expire sometime.
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=2565

This has been a really interesting, if contentious thread.
For me, I bought the Chumby because of what it presented - and that was a fun 'net device that could do a bunch of fun stuff with widgets.
Having buzzed through the forums since before I bought the device I admire the hell out of the fact that the company will try as best as it's able to answer any issues people have.
Sure, there are not always answers that seem suitable for the asker but it is very refreshing to see a company that does give a damn.
Now, I grant you that it serves the interests of the company to care but, still, when was the last time you saw people from Sony or any other company giving an actual crap about what we thought of their products.
On the other side, it's good to see a passionate user-base that wants this product to succeed.
If nothing else, the Chumby is proving a very interesting, and so far successful, dialogue between a business and it's users.

Me, I don't have any problem with ads. Maybe I am lucky, or have some magic set-up where I don't really come across them. Not sure, but so far, so good. Do I need all the random Chumby 101s? No, but it's good to be reminded of things once in a while and I can get rid of them easily enough.
And that's where I get frustrated.
One of the big draws to this device was the lack of a subscription, and for that, you know what, I can live with a some ads. Sure, I have my critiques of the device but ads I can get over.
And I tell you what - I am no programmer, and I don't know a thing about creating flash or hacking a device but I like that the Chumby is built so that the people who want to do that can. It adds to the life, and to the richness of the product. The Chumby works swell on its own but, with the help of the passionate people who CAN program, we are getting some pretty rad content. Hell, for me, I actually want to see more of that stuff from the regular folks that can do that stuff. I want to see them challenged.
Heck, I'd love to see Chumby have contests for best widgets so we raise the bar a little.

Is this the perfect device?
No, and anyone who thought it would be is silly.
What this is is a great tool, a fun diversion, and a heck of a glimpse into what might come next.
I believe in this product, and in the people that speak for the company, and, truly, I believe in we the user.
If we didn't care, there would be no forum, no hacking, and no Chumby.
I think we all jumped on this good ship Chumby with a lot of hope and a bit of courage and it's a shame when we lose sight of the reasons we bought the thing.
I can't help but wonder if the very nature of the device - not quite open but the back door left unlocked - makes it so easy for people to put all these hopes and demands (reasonable and unreasonable) on the something that has yet to really reach its full potential.

No, the Chumby isn't perfect but why don't we all help make it better, which seems a lot more reasonable than getting angry because you purchased the device based on hopes and not reality.

For what it's worth...
c

Duane wrote:

Most of the information on how to repurpose the device is on the wiki - including creating your own Control Panel (which is basically a fancy Flash movie), as well as how to rebuild the kernel, use a variety of programming languages, how to set up a web server, etc.

Without reflashing the firmware, you can take control of the device with a USB dongle.

Many people have taken advantage of these capabilities and are "off the grid" as far as the Chumby Network is concerned.

Sorry to be a little late to the conversation.  I just got a Chumby and am looking forward to trying some of the aforementioned hacks out, including using Chumby with my own web server.

But if and when I do that, I would definitely miss the content, as many of the widgets are very well designed, and in some cases use content that I would not otherwise have access or permissions to use. 

Point being, I would be willing to pay for a widget - that is, for the flash content as well as the right to play it locally and on my own web server.  Probably $1-$5 depending on the widget, but if others have an interest as well, it could add up.  Perhaps a pay-for-widgets model could benefit developers and Chumby alike, and maybe even encourage more development in the future...  something like the iTunes Apps store, I imagine.

Are others interested in using widgets locally or from their own servers?  Or is there already a way to access existing widgets, such as Weather.com, David Letterman Top Ten, Facebook, etc. from our own servers?

Thanks! k

Duane

I am new to the forum and just had a question that I am sure has come up, however forgive me, I could not find the discussion here on the forum.
(is there a Search function I missed ?)

Have any widget developers expressed an interest in Chumby offering a method for them to "sell" premium versions of their free widgets where both the developer and Chumby would see some revenue?

This can be handled similar to https://www.payloadz.com/ , where a Chumby unit owner only needs a PayPal account (and the developer as well), except unlike Payloadz, the seller/developer does not have to pay for a "sales account" above a minimum revenue.  I would imagine the widget prices would be slightly more than iPhone app prices due to the many orders of magnitude difference in current iPhone installed base compared to Chumby installed base.

This comes from ... a "goal" some s/w developers and I have been discussing TO DRIVE MORE CHUMBY UNIT SALES by increasing the value to more mass-market diverse customers (i.e. casual gadget users, who are not developers), as a result of more "killer app" desirable widgets becoming available. (The eventual increased sales would perhaps lessen the need for as much advertising to be part of the Chumby business model because Chumby itself would get a per widget share in the revenue).  This would be done by monetarily incentivizing "killer app" developers to develop for the platform.

Thanks and look forward to the forum's kind responses ;-)
Steve

Hi set4qwc.

There is a search function just below the title of any forum page.

I too have suggested an App store, but beware that many contributors to the forums see this as heresy ! So be prepared for views like that in replies to any posts you make on the subject. But I support the idea.

I recently ordered(have not yet received) Chumby and didn't realize that widgets would be installed without my consent or knowledge.  Although it is stated in the T's and C's, I missed it.
Don't get me wrong, I expected there would be advertisements to compensate for the "free" content, but I assumed wrong that (1)those advertisements would be associated with each subscribed widget and (2) I'd be allowed to opt-out of widgets if (a) the amount of advertising is intrusive by my standards or (b) if I did't like the methods(pop-ups, sidebar, etc..) used to display the ads associated with the widget. 
I don't see tons of complaints so I'm assuming that the ads are not intrusive and I still can't wait to receive the product.  I'm posting this note in hopes that Chumby takes my feedback into consideration and at some point in the future associates ads with widgets, in turn empowering users with some means of controlling the level of advertising they receive.

djharn wrote:

I recently ordered(have not yet received) Chumby and didn't realize that widgets would be installed without my consent or knowledge.  Although it is stated in the T's and C's, I missed it.
Don't get me wrong, I expected there would be advertisements to compensate for the "free" content, but I assumed wrong that (1)those advertisements would be associated with each subscribed widget and (2) I'd be allowed to opt-out of widgets if (a) the amount of advertising is intrusive by my standards or (b) if I did't like the methods(pop-ups, sidebar, etc..) used to display the ads associated with the widget. 
I don't see tons of complaints so I'm assuming that the ads are not intrusive and I still can't wait to receive the product.  I'm posting this note in hopes that Chumby takes my feedback into consideration and at some point in the future associates ads with widgets, in turn empowering users with some means of controlling the level of advertising they receive.

The widgets are not technically installed on the device itself, they are widgets that are automatically added to your widget channel which in turn are hosted through the Chumby site. It takes less than 10 seconds to remove the pre-added widgets if you dislike all of them.

I thought I read that Chumby may reinstall widgets even after I remove them.  Even if it's only 10 seconds to remove, I still wish once I removed something, it would be removed for good.  Hopefully Chumby, Inc. ships this product soon so I can get the product in my hands and then provide some real feedback.  I still think it looks great in it's current form.  I raise this in hopes that someone considers this in future software updates.