Topic: Easier and faster way to start Radio

Chumby does here replace a radio so its main purpose is to play streaming radio (shoutcast) or FM radio.

Turning the radio on takes a lots of steps and time.
It would be nice to have the ability to predefine a station or music source and then having the ability to turn on and of the playback by just pressing a button. For example by pressing the big button on the top for a longer time (2 seconds).

Re: Easier and faster way to start Radio

+1

Not sure how this would be done but an easy way to restart the last stream would be great.

I found a script on the forums here where a stream can be started from a web page. Also one that edits the mystreams file "live" and enables you to start the stream. I use this a lot rather than navigating the interface.

Aye, +1 for clumsy UI design in regards to music/radio handling. Any radical improvements to the way the UI is designed in these ares would be welcomed with open arms.

BTW: Is it possible to modify the controlpanel as a user? Maybe we can hack such an option ourself.

I like the idea of reminding the last played music source and a global start-stop mechanism, for example a long press of the big button that usually opens the control panel.

I posted a suggestion here: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=4371

If they would allow a stream to be selected (or paired) to a channel that would be ideal. Name your channel "Jazz" have it call up your jazz stream and display your jazz widgets automatically... similar to how custom alarms work now.

Sound like a good idea but the general responsiveness is bad, i.e. the latency of keypresses/rotary events is very high and also not constant (at least from what I observe as a user).
If you have the ability to change channels somehow I would like to have it in a fast way.

8 (edited by JMII 2010-01-20 14:36:47)

xyphro wrote:

Sound like a good idea but the general responsiveness is bad, i.e. the latency of keypresses/rotary events is very high and also not constant (at least from what I observe as a user).
If you have the ability to change channels somehow I would like to have it in a fast way.

I have not noticed this behavior. Chumby takes a second or two to refresh between widgets, but considering its downloading from the 'net over Wifi it is plenty fast to me.

OK, if it changes that fast 1s it should be ok, but here it is sometimes in the range of 4 seconds.
I meant for example the latency that you notice when turning the volume knob. The GUI reacts really slow (when a volume bar is visible) and it is also not possible to increase or decrease the volume fast.

I have the feeling that it is easier to realize a global music play/stop button because chumby already seems to store somehow his last music source.

Maybe it is possible to only implement a method to start and stop a shell script when the big button is pressed for >1s. Writing a small start/stop script should not be very complicated.

The volume knob issue is partially a system driver issue that should be fixed in the future based on the conversation in http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=4540

Strikingly similar request I made on this post
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=4405

PUSH!

No reaction from the developers?