Topic: How to hibernate or sleep the Chumby

I'm a new user and have not found this functionality.

Re: How to hibernate or sleep the Chumby

Why not put it in Night mode and then turn on Dark?

Also, at least with the Chumby One, when you're playing music, there's a "Timer" button next to the "Stop" button at the top of the music channel selection screen that can be used to turn off the streaming after a set amount of time.

Ok What I was looking for was a one or two stroke way to do this like  press and hold the top button or tap the screen twice or ...

Also I'm wondering how low the power goes to reduce the vampire effect while retaining a quick boot.

MarkNohr wrote:

Ok What I was looking for was a one or two stroke way to do this like  press and hold the top button or tap the screen twice or ...

Also I'm wondering how low the power goes to reduce the vampire effect while retaining a quick boot.

Going into Dark Night mode is only a 3-stroke method...

Don't know the exact number on power draw, but I remember one of the Chumbians saying that it takes less (or roughly equal to) your microwave's clock.

So what I anticipated is coming to fruition. Pandora is playing and a non technical person try's to shut things down and becomes frustrated tapping done and then stop and then done again and then night with sometimes it going directly to night and sometime presenting a timeout setting screen. Inevitably they press done before they press stop. So I wind up getting a call from some-one trying to leave work and is being held captive. I can train each person and field the calls but I would rather simplify the shutdown and launch procedure. I've actually watched them mash the top button trying to get a shutdown choice (like the button on laptops they have already learned) uttering the words, what's with this POS. Where's the off button.

Really.
This is the reality of dealing with users who are on the other end of the geek spectrum. 

So. Can some-one point me to an easy way to make the Chumby hibernate when mashing and holding down the top button? Maybe a screen appears with a 3 sec countdown with the words Shutting Down on the screen. Also I'd like to launch Pandora to a specific station by pressing the top button once when the Chumby is hibernating.

I'm sure this is easy for a Chumby developer and unfortunately I don't have the time to ramp on this and do it myself.

Help. I really like the device and want these non techies to tell their friends what a cool piece of hardware this is. Don't you?

What's wrong with the "off" button on the back of the device?  The device really doesn't take all that long to boot.

The power doesn't drop that dramatically when the screen is dimmed - all it really does is extend the life of the backlight.  The main processor and wifi are still running at full power.  We don't claim that there is any sort of "low power" mode of the device.

Note that the device is typically drawing only about 2-3W when displaying widgets, and maybe up to 4-5W when playing music at full volume.  Compare that with any lights that are left on - a single 100W incandescent bulb is using the power of more than 20 chumbys.

Duane wrote:

What's wrong with the "off" button on the back of the device?  The device really doesn't take all that long to boot.

When I turn the Chumby on from standby with the button on the back, it takes up to 30 seconds to boot. Thats the same time as if I would have pulled the power adaptor. Isn´t it possible to let the device start faster when it was only in standby?

Duane wrote:

The main processor and wifi are still running at full power.  We don't claim that there is any sort of "low power" mode of the device.

Wouldn´t it be possible to shutdown the wifi-modul during the night-mode? Maybe the wifi could be automatically restarted one minute before the alarm begins. Not everyone wants an active wifi-antenna directly next to his head while sleeping.

Ok 1:20 to first widget running. Then there are 4 selections to make to get music playing with many possibilities for tapping the wrong thing sending a user into unfamiliar territory.  This while some-one has arrived at the office and is setting other things up. There is no way they are going to sit there for 1:20 and wait for Chumby to boot without becoming inpatient.

Honestly, A sleep and wake button is the best answer. I took the argument earlier on this thread that 'it's really not that hard' and let the actual experience play out (look at the timing of the posts). As I said, my original  anticipation of user frustration was correct.  Believe it or not, there are a lot of people out there who feel learning user interfaces a real drag so keeping it stupid simple is the best answer (just ask Apple).

I'm less concerned about the power consumption than the device glowing in a dark room making some-one who is locking up think they hadn't turned the Chumby off.

Again, it seems like the first widget run could easily fire up Pandora and map the button functionality. I just don't have the experience to create such a widget.

Can any-one help with this functionality?

The issue of the "runnig wlan over night next to your head" is discussed in many forums ( Freecom MusicPal for example has the same issue ) and since we all agree that the radiation is not needed/neccessary when the radio is in night mode and the music-timer has stopped, it would be really good if Chumby Industries could find a way to switch off wlan just after any non-usb streamed music source has ended and turn it back on,say, five minutes before any set alarm will again need the wlan connection.

What is against this ?

@ Duane: I think the power button on the back is super! Other radios are completely missing this !!! When I start brushing teeth I turn the Chumby on and when I get to bed it is all set.
And according to my measuring the Chumby only consumes 1 watt if turned off. Compared to 3-4 watt with everything on.

But resuming the last played stream upon turn-on would be a nice thing!! :-)

klamauk wrote:

The issue of the "runnig wlan over night next to your head" is discussed in many forums ( Freecom MusicPal for example has the same issue ) and since we all agree that the radiation is not needed/neccessary when the radio is in night mode and the music-timer has stopped, it would be really good if Chumby Industries could find a way to switch off wlan just after any non-usb streamed music source has ended and turn it back on,say, five minutes before any set alarm will again need the wlan connection.

What is against this ?

Widgets are downloaded from the internet, there is some caching done but from what I have heard it is adobe's flash who caches material.  When a developer updates their widget on chumby.com it needs to download the content to the chumbys.

I agree a offline mode should be in the list of future enhancements, where it would predownload every widget in your channel, turn off wifi, play your widgets (they would have to be ones that don't need internet acces, so no weather widgets), and if you need to play music or switch channels you would have to hit a option in the control panel to get it out of offline mode, then it could redownload any updated widgets and also let you stream music

Maybe the solution is that the button on the top that opens the control panel needs to open something else first. Clearly as more features are added the Control Panel has become the "catch all" and is over loaded with choices.

If Chumby is using the desktop computer as "model" for how the Chumby UI should function then pressing the top button should be similar to the Start menu in Windows or the Apple menu on Macs. Your choices should be (not sure of best order): Radio, Alarms, Night Mode, Favorites, Change Channel, Control Panel and Restart/Shutdown. These should be BIG buttons with easy to understand icons, one click takes you directly to the appropriate area.

The problem currently (IMHO) is the Control Panel is around HALF the screen is used to switch widgets within a give channel or used to rate widgets, this is overkill and a waste of valuable screen space I think. The other half of the screen has a few tiny buttons that take you into other areas that offer even more choices. Some of the choices (such as alarms and radio) are key features of the Chumby. Thus these features should not be hidden in sub menu choices, they should be immediately available after pushing the top button.

Control Panel should only contain preferences or options, just like on a desktop computer - things like volume, balance, brightness. Radio should not be in the Control Panel because the radio is an application/widget all by itself.

JMII's got it dead-on IMO... major UI design problems in the Chumby and those are some good ideas. I think just saying there's some kind of UI redesign in the works would be enough to satisfy many of us wink

Is the Chumby aware of the power plug? What I would like would be something like a car accessory. If there is power at the power plug, then the Chumby runs, or if the power goes away, then Chumby goes into sleep mode and runs off the battery. Or if that isn't possible, Chumby would hibernate to a flash drive.

Possible?

@Ghumby, yes the chumby One is aware of the power plug.  Its current state is reflected in the file /sys/class/power_supply/ac/online

There is a script that runs located in /usr/chumby/scripts/power_state_changed.sh.  It is activated by the following rule in /lib/udev/rules.d/98-chumby-late.rules:

DRIVERS=="stmp3xxx-battery", RUN+="/usr/chumby/scripts/power_state_changed.sh"

You could create a similar effect by creating /psp/udev/99-chumby-early.rules and putting a similar udev rule with a different RUN command.

One neat thing you can do, and I'm not sure quite how it'd apply in this situation, is run something like "cpi -a 900; poweroff".  This will power the chumby off, and then power it on again 900 seconds later.  This will work whether it's on battery or AC power.

In terms of hibernating or sleeping, can you set an alarm to turn things off?  I haven't tried this on my side, so I don't know if an alarm can kill Pandora and set the display to Dark, but the "Set display to Dark" works fine on mine.

What widgets that work offline would be useful?  Buying an Internet appliance for offline use seems odd to me without an example.