Topic: Wired ethernet and PoE for the Chumby

Has there been any discussion or consideration about integrating PoE into a wired ethernet connection and eliminating the ac adapter? (Hate those fat ac adapters cluttering up the place...) I read a few posts where some have been successful getting a wired ethernet USB dongle to work. But, adding PoE is a whole other ball of wax. I haven't investigated PoE specifications or if it would even power a chumby. If the power characteristics matched close enough, one may get away with modifying a usb dongle to pass through the power conductors and connect them directly to the board... but, playing with the power could result in a fire or otherwise destroying the device. Just a thought at this moment... (I probably should read a bit more before posting... couldn't help myself.)

I'm new to this chumby thing. I remember hearing about this platform years ago. Now in this day and age, after the hyped iPhone and iTouch and iDon'tGiveaCrap... products that are out dated and scheduled for replacement the day they hit the retail shelf... this business and product model of the Chumby is the future. Can I pre-order a Chumby automobile??? ;-)

Side note... if anybody wants to see what 50 years of marketing and industrial design has brought us... buy a copy of AdBusters magazine and check out this short movie... http://www.storyofstuff.com/

Re: Wired ethernet and PoE for the Chumby

tkitzky wrote:

Has there been any discussion or consideration about integrating PoE into a wired ethernet connection and eliminating the ac adapter?

I like the way you think :-)

See my post about a more "industrial" version of the hardware...

Installing a new power circuit costs about 10 times what installing a new Ethernet drop does. A PoE version of the Chumby, wall mountable, would have lots of potential custom applications.