1 (edited by scout172 2008-01-22 18:28:25)

Topic: Flat, wall-mountable version of the chumby?

Hello,

I'm very interested in the possibility of using the Chumby hardware platform with customized software for business applications. As a random example, imagine selling a home security system based on WiFi control where the Chumby was the control panel. Or using it in some kind of manufacturing setting. Or in supermarkets. Etc., etc., etc.

The current form factor of the Chumby is very attractive but limits this type of application. I think there are lots of business possibilities if the Chumby could be installed in a more "industrial" manner. Specifically I'm thinking of it as a wall-mounted device, or whatever. The important thing is that it be flat and "mountable". I'm guessing I'm not alone in thinking of this kind of application.

Any thoughts on this from the Chumbrarians at Chumby, Inc.? From a business point of view, if the business goal of Chumby, Inc. is to sell hardware, then a more "scalable" hardware form factor (i.e., scalable in terms of applications) would seem to be a no-brainer, and probably not very difficult to pull off with a simple vented flat rectangular case.

Another idea along these lines would be the same thing but handheld and battery powered. This type of device could be used in a consumer visit setting like a much more intelligent version of those pager devices you get when you make a reservation at a restaurant. E.g., imagine you get one when you wait for a table and you can go ahead and enter your order on the touchscreen. Then you turn it back in when your table is ready and it gets recharged. Or something you carry around with you in some store to get product info, etc. (maybe with a USB RFID reader plugged in?).

Lots of possibilities...