Topic: Connecting to network - cannot connect - proxy server maybe?

Hi, I am very new to chumby, in fact so much so that I have not yet connected to the network or activated my device.

I have a Linksys WAP54G, which supports G & B. I am having trouble connecting to the network. My chumby just sits on the "Connecting to network..." screen with the timer spinning around for hours on end.

I have tried the following:
1) Disabled mixed mode WiFi (i.e. only allowing Wireless B) - DID NOT WORK
2) Disabled WEP (i.e. no hotspot security at all) - DID NOT WORK
3) Reset the chumby countless times to try iterations of the above

I can connect perfectly to the hotspot via a PC in any configuration and access the web.

Setup looks something like this:
Wireless Hotspot <> Ethernet <> Proxy Server <> WWW Access

I have few clues as to why I cannot connect, but I suspect it is the proxy server that is causing grief here? But as I am so new I cannot determine whether the Chumby when it sits there in "Connecting to network..." is trying to connect to a WWW or just get a connection to the hotspot/wifi.

Any help appreciated. I will be trying at home tonight with a different wifi access point/hotspot that DOES NOT have a Proxy Server to see if this is the issue but thought I will kick-off my investigations/troubleshooting with the online community concurrently.

Either way, if the problem is with the proxy, surely the chumby can be configured to hook into a proxy server?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: Connecting to network - cannot connect - proxy server maybe?

montza,
How did it work on the hotspot without the proxy server?  If you have any other issues with connectivity, please don't hesitate to contact support at this page:  http://www.chumby.com/pages/help_support

Thanks,
Sam

Works like a treat from home (although no songs detected on my iPod as I use Ephpod to drop songs on it - not iTunes GRRR). I have submitted a support request as it's clear now that the chumby tries to connect to chumby.com (via WWW) as part of the 'connecting to network' - rather than what I would consider a logical approach being 1) connect to network and then 2) allow user to configure web access.

Whilst I wait a response from support, do we know if there is the ability to manually configure the chumby for proxy servers? I have all the proxy details and authentication readily available.

Well, unfortunately, "allow user to configure web access" generally requires a web browser, which the chumby does not have.

Whet we typically do in these situations is create a small shell script on USB that uses curl to simulate the actions of the browser to the server - this gets us by a lot of these sorts of things.  There's no general solution except for a full browser.

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate the position on 'web browser', although this is not a 'browser' related issue, nor a network connectivity issue - it is the way the device connects to the web from the network it is on. If we all had a 'vanilla' setup that allowed direct connection to the web things would be a lot easier... but unfortunately we don't - diverse flexibility is therefore important. <end of dig>

So... The CURL sounds like a path I could follow. I will have a search on the forums/web to see what I can identify. Any assistance/guidance appreciated.