Topic: Can not get music files to play off USB

I tried today to play some music files off of a USB stick with no luck. They were all mp3 files that I named very simply 1.mpg, 2.mpg, etc. I am going to try a different USB stick to see if that is the issue, but I would not think so.  Are there specific bit rates that are supported?

Any thoughts?

-HuckFinn

Re: Can not get music files to play off USB

Have you tried using file with the .mp3 extension? (not mpg)

I tried a different usb stick and that seemed to be the biggest trick. The one I was using before was a very cheap usb stick I got free from a tradeshow. I put the files on an older Sandisk stick and made sure they were named correctly. I made a mistake above, they were .mp3 files before not .mpg. It would be nice if I did not have to use simple file names as my entire library uses complex file names and renaming them individually is very tedious. Is there any update as to when this would be available? Also are there plans for the Chumby to be able to display the mp3 tag information? I understand that the music is meant as morer of a background task, but it would be nice to be able to see the list of songs and what you are playing.

-HuckFinn

We've fixed the bug with the filenames (it's in the Flash Player), but it requires a firmware deployment, and can't be done with just the Control Panel.

I would assume that firmware updates can also be completed over the air, correct? Is there a plan to make this available? I understand that these types of updates are a lot more significant than software updates and need to be thoroughly tested and combined with other fixes. Just wondering how long we may have to wait.

Thanks

-HuckFinn

The firmware update for that particular fix has not yet been scheduled - there are some other open issues that need to be addressed before we can set a hard date.

There will probably be a smaller firmware update before that one.

Yes, the updates come in over-the-air.

Thanks for the quick reply. I fully understand and this is probably a very minor issue compared with others. This is one of those things with being an early adopter, so not a big deal.

-HuckFinn