Re: Fix for Weather NULL,NULL issue on theme screens - August 31, 2023.

Anyone else having issues again with the Weather feed? 

Or is it just a personal problem??

Mine was stuck at least since yesterday afternoon.  Rebooted and now it is stuck on "Loading".

When I went to check the weather this morning the Accuweather app is no longer showing on the default Sony theme screen.  Just a blank space where the app is supposed to display.  When pressing the space I get a blank screen.

It this still happening?

Much (much) thanks, Duane!

Worked, and worked well.

30 (edited by vplester 2023-07-18 10:50:35)

I finally got around to fixing the weather feed on my Sony Dash today.  Many thanks to those who contributed, especially Duane. 

One quick note regarding the instructions to fix the 5-day weather forecast.  While I'm computer literate (but rusty) I was not familiar with WinSCP Portable.  I Googled, found, and downloaded the software to my Windows PC, then tried to follow the given instructions. However, I was missing a key piece of info where the instructions say "Access the Chumby with WinSCP via SSH".

For the less informed (like me) you will first need to get the IP address (192.168.XX.XX) of the Sony Dash, which is on the Menu-Settings-Network page.  This is what you enter into the Host Name field after starting up WinSCP.com.  Also, as mentioned, enter "root" as the User Name with no Password.  This will give you access to the Sony Dash files so you can continue with the instructions as outlined (to rename and copy the described files).

Thanks for extending the life of my Sony Dash, yet again.

Weather NULL, NULL is back on my Dash.  Temp and conditions are gone.  Worked fine yesterday.  Using the original single day weather display.  Power cycled, rebooted, no improvement.

Yes, it's happening again here, too.

Here in Maryland also, sadly!

Same here in Central Illinois. NULL, UNDEFINED weather screen.

Ya, can confirm same issue with weather broken again :-(

Looking into it - it may be gone for good now.

Duane wrote:

Looking into it - it may be gone for good now.

Oh, no!  Please say it ain't so!

Had a power outage night before last and the weather quit showing after that.  Strange coincidence, I guess it wasn't the power outage that caused it.  Anyway, not working here either.

Hi, Same here in the Chicago area.  Hopefully Duane will find a fix.

40 (edited by alaric11 2023-08-04 03:59:18)

Hi Duane,

thank you for all your work.
I still haven't gotten this fix to work though.
I am quite positive that I successfully replaced the controlpanel.swf with the correct file in the /psp directory:

[root@tango3 psp]# ls -l control*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       896203 Aug  4 08:48 controlpanel.swf*

I also checked, system info shows CP 4.10.2 and the MD5sum of the file checks out.

However, after reboot, the Dash still shows the NULL and 0 degrees.
Also, when I try to add a new location, it always comes back saying it can not find a city with that name or zip code.
Could it be possible you used a weather service that is not available from Germany?

Any other steps I would need to do after exchanging the file, syncing and rebooting?

Kind regards,

Michael Haider

Alaric, if you -just- followed the instruction to fix it won't help you, because the replacement feed seems to also be gone. If Duane can't dig up another replacement, that may be it.

Note for those looking at this thread - a new Control Panel has been released to address the more recent weather problems, please check the first post.

Duane, the new controlpanel worked great for me!  I didn't need to re-configure the city.  Thank you for all your work on this!  Nice to have my Dash back.

-F

PS, what's the linux command that resets just the flash front end (I think?) so I don't have to reboot the whole device after a change like this?

fmurch1 wrote:

PS, what's the linux command that resets just the flash front end (I think?) so I don't have to reboot the whole device after a change like this?

From the command line on the device:

# stop_control_panel
# start_control_panel

45 (edited by demarks51 2023-09-07 12:15:40)

tried to download this file and my browser says they are preventing me from downloading it since it is unsafe. How do I work around this?

Update:
Used another browser and it downloaded. I'll see if this file will work.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

demarks51 wrote:

tried to download this file and my browser says they are preventing me from downloading it since it is unsafe. How do I work around this?

Update:
Used another browser and it downloaded. I'll see if this file will work.

Yeah, I gather some browsers have taken it on themselves to *require* https for *everything*.

It might work if you just change the "http" to "https" in the URL.  I think that server has ssl certs installed.

Have others been getting rather high high temperature forecasts since this new control panel fix?  My Dash forecast has been 100 F for weeks even though it should be in the low 90s to high 80s.

yasbean wrote:

Have others been getting rather high high temperature forecasts since this new control panel fix?  My Dash forecast has been 100 F for weeks even though it should be in the low 90s to high 80s.

Does it do that even when you power cycle it?

I haven't done the update, yet, but before this mine would occasionally get "stuck" on a temperature. When that happened,  I would unplug it from the wall power, then plug it back in. That would fix the problem.

yasbean wrote:

What city is this?  I can check see if the issue is with the data feed.

Duane wrote:
yasbean wrote:

What city is this?  I can check see if the issue is with the data feed.

Sorry for the late reply!  I did not receive a notification. (?)

This is for Sacramento, CA.  It is still way off the actual forecasts, sometimes by 10F.