Topic: whats up with the proxy?

getting this error:
This website is under heavy load
We're sorry, too many people are accessing this website at the same time. We're working on this problem. Please try again later.

is it down, or being abused?

Re: whats up with the proxy?

Not sure what's happening, we'll take a look.

Should be working again.

alien_scones wrote:

getting this error:
This website is under heavy load
We're sorry, too many people are accessing this website at the same time. We're working on this problem. Please try again later.

is it down, or being abused?

I went in and asked it to behave and it is now, I'm not happy about the fact that I'm not sure why it's wasn't behaving, but I wanted to get it going and didn't want to spend a lot of time digging into why it was misbehaving, if it does it again, I'll dig further.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Thanks. That worked for a while but I'm seeing some apps ( Noaa radar ) with the same error again.

Yes, the problem with the proxy was due to problems with NOAA/NWS.  We've temporarily blocked them.

Effectively, the proxy fetches data from third party sources, in some cases reformats it, and caches it for additional fetches within a certain period so they're faster.

What going on with NOAA/NWS is that they are taking an extraordinary amount of time to respond to the requests, which locks up that socket until they either respond or we time out.  Our server would then run out of sockets and start rejecting additional requests.

This has happened before, and it usually sorts itself out after a few days when they fix whatever's wrong on their end.  It's possible it may take a while this time, because the folks that normally handle this are probably not around.

Unfortunately, until then, the data for these widgets is not available.

Another note, "proxy" used to share a server with other services, mainly the music services.  When this happened in the past, it would affect all of those services as well.  The last time it happened, we spun out "proxy" to another server to at least isolate the behavior.

Thanks For the explanation.
Standing by for NOAA to sort things out.
In the meantime, hope all is well with you and yours...

We're doing well, happy to be in California - besides my normal job (which is still going at a normal pace), I'm heavily involved with making PPE - I've been running a fleet of 3D printers and a CNC routers making stuff.

I've had a plastic injection mold made to mass manufacture face shields, get my first bulk order next week (fingers crossed), which will be given away to health care workers, first responders, etc.

This is being financed by Chumby, and therefore indirectly by subscriptions.

Thank you Duane for your help in this time of need!

I am one of the those health workers in the trenches. It has been truly amazing how the community has stepped up and helped out. I am proud to be a part of the Chumby family that is helping out!

Duane wrote:

This is being financed by Chumby, and therefore indirectly by subscriptions.

I know you've explained the why earlier but it would be nice to have a higher-level subscription option. I'd gladly send $5 or more per month.