Topic: Logitect learns from Sony Mistake

Logitech Harmony link to be bricked in June
After a major backlash from customers  Logitech will replace soon to be bricked devices for free
This was posted in the verge (unable to post link)

Re: Logitect learns from Sony Mistake

Is this the story? Logitech will give all Harmony Link owners a free Hub after backlash.

This is a lot different than the Sony Dash scenario.  Logitech was still selling these (albeit at fire-sale prices) as recent as three months ago, and the original terms of this exchange failed basic math...none of the units would still be under warranty in March.

Sony had not sold a Dash in years.

The termination of service for devices that depend on a vendor's servers will eventually need to be addressed legally. Right now I believe it is up to the vendors to decide (with help from customer backlash). I think clear rules need to be made. How long will a vendor have to support a product after the product is no longer for sale? What level of support? What penalties are there for companies that fail to meet these rules?
What happens when a company goes out of business? We don't want small companies selling devices then immediately "going out of business" to get out of supporting a product, then creating a new company a few months later. This might make the products more expensive, but it would be nice to know how long to expect your device will work BEFORE you buy it. Just my $0.02

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

The termination of service for devices that depend on a vendor's servers will eventually need to be addressed legally. Right now I believe it is up to the vendors to decide (with help from customer backlash). I think clear rules need to be made. How long will a vendor have to support a product after the product is no longer for sale? What level of support? What penalties are there for companies that fail to meet these rules?
What happens when a company goes out of business? We don't want small companies selling devices then immediately "going out of business" to get out of supporting a product, then creating a new company a few months later. This might make the products more expensive, but it would be nice to know how long to expect your device will work BEFORE you buy it. Just my $0.02

I don't buy things that require ongoing vendor support, (unless they're an open architecture like chumby)...  Because once they've got your money, there's no incentive for them to continue support.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Here's the thing.  I get no longer offering online support, but they didn't have to disable my device from working at all.  Especially with an automatic update that completely killed it.  I would have been fine using my dash as an alarm clock.