Topic: A book about Bunnie Huang and Chumby

Looks like Bunnie put his numerous writings in one book

The Hardware Hacker: Adventures in Making and Breaking Hardware By Andrew Bunnie Huang

Search and you will find!

preface
When Bill Pollock, founder of No Starch Press, first contacted me with the idea of publishing a
compilation of my writings, I was skeptical. I didn’t think there would be enough material to fill a
hundred pages. It seems I was wrong.
My mother often said, “It doesn’t matter what’s in your head if you can’t tell people what’s in it,” and
when I was in seventh grade, she enrolled me in an after-school essay writing class. I hated the class at
the time, but in retrospect, I’m thankful. Starting with my college application essays and up to this day,
I’ve found the ability to organize my thoughts into prose invaluable.
Most of the material in this book was originally published on my blog, but as you’ll soon see, those
posts weren’t puff pieces written to drive ad revenue. One reason I write is to solidify my own
understanding of complicated subjects. It’s easy to believe you understand a topic until you try to explain
it to someone else in a rigorous fashion. Writing is how I distill my intuition into structured knowledge; I
only write when I find something interesting to write about, and then I post it with a CC BY-SA license to
encourage others to share it.
This book includes a selection of my writings on manufacturing, intellectual property (with a focus on
comparing Western versus Chinese perspectives), open hardware, reverse engineering, and biology and
bioinformatics. The good editors at No Starch Press also curated a couple of interviews I’ve done in the
past that were particularly informational or insightful. The common thread throughout these diverse topics
is hardware: how it’s made, the legal frameworks around it, and how it’s unmade. And yes, biological
systems are hardware.
I’ve always gravitated toward hardware because while I’m not particularly gifted when it comes to
abstract thought (hence the need to write to organize my thoughts), I am pretty good with my hands. I have
a much better chance of understanding things that I can see with my own two eyes.
My entire understanding of the world has always been built on a series of simple, physical experiences,
starting from when I stacked blocks and knocked them over as a child. This book shares some of my more
recent experiences. I hope that by reading them, you will gain a deeper understanding of the world of
hardware, without having to spend decades stacking blocks and knocking them over.
Happy hacking,
—b