Re: How to load alternate themes.

drexful wrote:

Edit: Scratch that.. http://files.dash.sel.sony.com/external … ources.xml is down so I won't be able to do this. Hopefully Duane can add the code back into the control panel so we can load Pandora again with the Chumby source xml

Do you happen to know the content of sources.xml ? You can edit the hosts files to point files.dash.sel.sony.com to any ip you want

That's not how Pandora was implemented on the dash, so even if the file were there it would not help you.

Pandora, along with Netflix, Slacker, etc were part of the same manifest as the Control Panel, updates, etc.  They were part of the Bravia media offerings.

Duane wrote:

That's not how Pandora was implemented on the dash, so even if the file were there it would not help you.

Pandora, along with Netflix, Slacker, etc were part of the same manifest as the Control Panel, updates, etc.  They were part of the Bravia media offerings.

Ok. That makes sense. I am done fiddling around with this thing because I have more important things to do.

I will be very hesitant to buy another "IOT" device in the future and certainly not buying anything Chumbified.

Owner of three C1's, Infocast 3.5, Sony Dash C10, and Infocast 8. A tinkerer at heart and IT director by trade.

Adding stuff like Pandora, Slacker, etc is not just a matter of writing the code.

It also requires having a contract with the companies involved.  In the particular case of Pandora, one generally needs to have an agreement/contract and set of keys for each model of device that is supported.  We currently hold the key pairs for the chumby and Insignia devices.  We do not have keys for the dash, since Sony handled that.

I certainly have the code to support Pandora on dash - what I do not have is a dash key pair to make it work legally.

Technically, I could use a chumby device key pair, but that would be a violation of contract and we could lose Pandora for *all* chumby devices.

I didn't take Pandora away from dash owners - Sony did when they stopped supporting the dash.

The dash CP does support external music sources from USB, same as most other chumby devices, example and documentation here (note the files included are sized for 3.5" devices):

http://files.chumby.com/widgetexamples/ … lMusic.zip

55 (edited by drexful 2017-08-14 11:06:11)

Duane wrote:

Adding stuff like Pandora, Slacker, etc is not just a matter of writing the code.

I certainly have the code to support Pandora on dash - what I do not have is a dash key pair to make it work legally.

Technically, I could use a chumby device key pair, but that would be a violation of contract and we could lose Pandora for *all* chumby devices.

Well I have the key pair on my device and the tokens in the xml files, but they are useless without modifying the CP. I certainly understand why Blue Octy won't support it, but really hoping a fellow user would take time to do this.

Owner of three C1's, Infocast 3.5, Sony Dash C10, and Infocast 8. A tinkerer at heart and IT director by trade.

None of the CPs have any explicit support for Pandora.  On chumby devices, Pandora is an "external music source" implemented using the APIs in the example zip I posted.  Sony choose to not use this mechanism for their media sources, instead using their Bravia TV system.

In the case of chumby clients, the Pandora music source makes calls to our content backend, where the requests are signed and encrypted with the keys assigned to each model of chumby and Insignia device.  API keys are not stored on the device.

Anyone is free to implement their own backend and use the external music APIs I posted to create a Pandora client or for any other music service.  If anyone creates any music source that is licensed in manner that I can include it in the general music list, I'd be happy to do so.

We do support the server hosted external music XML file on our content server, it currently has no entries, see: http://files.chumby.com/dash/production … ources.xml

Just curious - what is the source for your Pandora API keys?

drexful wrote:
Duane wrote:

Ok. That makes sense. I am done fiddling around with this thing because I have more important things to do.

I will be very hesitant to buy another "IOT" device in the future and certainly not buying anything Chumbified.

I'm confused. Shouldn't you be swearing off anything sonyfied?

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

58 (edited by drexful 2017-08-14 16:49:23)

diamaunt wrote:

I own 3 devices.. 2 Chumby's and 1 Dash. Been through it all when the servers were shutdown here the first time and obviously now through Sony. I really dislike IOT devices for that reason.

Duane wrote:

Just curious - what is the source for your Pandora API keys?

I have the Pandora music source running via usb, but I need to input the partner ID from Sony. I have the ID, just need to know how to make sure the CP and music app can read the file. Any suggestions, Duane?

The Pandora API keys and Blowfish ciphers are stored on our servers keyed by device type.  We use Pandora API v4.

By "Pandora music source", are you talking about chumby external music source SWFs?

drexful wrote:
diamaunt wrote:

I own 3 devices.. 2 Chumby's and 1 Dash. Been through it all when the servers were shutdown here the first time and obviously now through Sony. I really dislike IOT devices for that reason.

What? no credit for us resurrecting the service? big_smile

I hear you on the IOT thing, though, the Chumby is the only internet device I've bought, for the very reason that you're reliant on some company keeping up their end of the bargain... The Chumby, to me, is different, since it's an open architecture... too many secrets otherwise.

62 (edited by drexful 2017-08-15 05:30:08)

@Diamaunt.  I have a Pandigital 15" Photoframe/TV/Internet thing that had purchased years ago that also works as a IOT.

That one also left me in the dark when the services were shutdown. Really stinks sad  I do wish that there were more people interested in "cracking the code" to get it working on an internal server or Chumby-like service. Unfortunately no open architecture there.

https://www.amazon.com/Pandigital-PANTV … B001K4DQZG

drexful wrote:

@Diamaunt.  I have a Pandigital 15" Photoframe/TV/Internet thing that had purchased years ago that also works as a IOT.

That one also left me in the dark when the services were shutdown. Really stinks sad  I do wish that there were more people interested in "cracking the code" to get it working on an internal server or Chumby-like service. Unfortunately no open architecture there.]

You know what *I* like of the "internet of things" now as compared to before?  HDMI devices. 

My TV (a smart TV) has a Sony fire stick.  The "smart" part of the TV is next to worthless 6 years later -- but the FireTV makes it "smart" again without needing to buy a new TV. 

Little devices like THAT are the way to go.  They can be replaced a hell of a lot cheaper than the whole console.

Thanks everyone, worked great and now have the old Sony theme up and running!  Alarm with same tones and weather forecasts are back! And it even works after reboot!  WAHOO!!

So I get to the Pi and touch sshd, the chummy winks at me, then what? Nothing happens from there.

sjspitalli wrote:

So I get to the Pi and touch sshd, the chummy winks at me, then what? Nothing happens from there.

You need to install a SSH/SCP client like Putty or WinSCP to transfer files. Account is root and no password. Make sure you type in the IP of your Dash.

How do I install Putty and what does it do?

68 (edited by riblet2000 2017-08-18 14:22:40)

PuTTY is a SSH & Telnet client you run on your computer.  Think of it as a computer terminal that connects to your Dash and allows you to interact with it directly.  You'll need the Dash's IP address and your computer will also need to be on the same network as the Dash.

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgt … atest.html

All you really need for this is the 'putty.exe' file (if you're on Windows) which can be run without installation once you download it.

Ok. I have putty, entered in the dash's Ip. The screen asks for login, how do I login. Sorry I'm a novice.

sjspitalli wrote:

http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php?title= … the_chumby

I got it!! Wow. Thanks to all involved. I seriously cannot believe it.

i did the duane theme without the usb "cp /usr/widgets/theme.swf /psp; sync" since this is all new language to me.thanks duane it worked great and is the old theme i used.If i try any other themes can i put more than one on usb?and choose from list?then just reboot for each theme?sorry for all the questions new to the ssh but the step by step directions are dumbed down to help quite a bit.thanks as always for the help

Thank you folk. I was able to get back the theme that I liked the most.

smok3yp wrote:

i did the duane theme without the usb "cp /usr/widgets/theme.swf /psp; sync" since this is all new language to me.thanks duane it worked great and is the old theme i used.If i try any other themes can i put more than one on usb?and choose from list?then just reboot for each theme?sorry for all the questions new to the ssh but the step by step directions are dumbed down to help quite a bit.thanks as always for the help

smok3yp you taught me this morning that my " custom themes " Sony themes were not stored anywhere but on the usb
stick. For a test, I reverted back to Chumdash theme, there are 3 of them. I selected and loaded one of the themes, doesn't matter
which one, and my chumdash responded correctly. I them went back to the theme options hoping to select " appview " theme, NOPE.
Hmmm, oh good I get to relearn the ssh tool and the commands and with my still warm garage roast of Ethiopian coffee did the
deed and returned to appview.

So, the question for the Chumdash community, can I copy any downloaded theme over to some empty folder on the dash?
I don't want to break the Chumdash, but it would be cool if I could leave the usb stick in my desk drawer. Thanks!

eastdiamond wrote:

So, the question for the Chumdash community, can I copy any downloaded theme over to some empty folder on the dash?
I don't want to break the Chumdash, but it would be cool if I could leave the usb stick in my desk drawer. Thanks!

As you found out you can revert back to "stock" Chumby themes via the UI control panel theme selection so there is little you can do to break it.

Copy the theme you want to use over /psp/theme.swf.  For example, if I wanted to use the "appview" theme which I have stored on my USB drive I would SSH in and issue this command:

cp /mnt/usb/appview_theme.swf /psp/theme.swf;sync

This will survive reboots and you can remove your USB drive after it completes.