Topic: Facebook group of dash customers...

Looks like someone has put up a Facebook group to try to convince Sony to continue support for the dash:

https://www.facebook.com/Save-our-Sony- … 139945818/

Re: Facebook group of dash customers...

I doubt if Sony will take the earplugs out long enough to respond to this. $ony is for the Money. Do you blame them? Technology has moved on even though the Dashers are still here. Never know. They may extend for an additional time but the inevitable will happen. Either now or shortly thereafter.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

demarks51 wrote:

$ony is for the Money. Do you blame them? .

yes.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

My premise was that the purpose of most companies are to make money for themselves and the people they employ. The bigger the company the more apt to lose touch with those who actually generate the funds they are looking for. The Dash is a NO-Money-Maker since their model was to offer an appliance with FREE access to widgets online. When "new and improved" appliances began to flood the market and sales of the Dash declined, Sony was ready to move on. Only trouble is there were people who still loved their Dash and wanted to continue to use it. With no money being generated on the front end, Sony was not going to keep the system going on their nickel. You knew that. It is still a bummer to see very cool technology being kicked to the curb.

I blame any company that makes a bargain with the customers and then changes their mind when it's not convenient.

chumby at least had the decency to keep trying till they went out of business, and even then Duane wouldn't abandon us.

heck yes, I blame Sony.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Sony has treated their customers poorly & with contempt for many years. I understand they cannot keep losing money on a product like the Dash. They are in business to make money. But how much would it have cost them to transition it to someone ready and willing to take on the service? How much good will would that have bought them? They certainly could use the good will.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

7 (edited by demarks51 2017-04-17 06:36:57)

You are correct. As I understand it, Duane has contacted Sony to offer assistance and they really didn't seem interested. That is an indicator they didn't really care about the Dash customers.

As for Chumby, I remember how irritated Chumby customers were with chumby.com when they found out the appliances would not be supported after a certain date. How soon we forget. They felt like they had been dumped. We were fortunate that Duane found a way to keep things going. Sony (like them or not) did keep the Dash going on their own nickel for a lot longer than Chumby.com was able to do so. Duane's efforts did increase respect for Chumby.com even though the original company was not in a position/disposition to continue service. Some of the employees were hired by another company so things were smoothed over I suppose. The good thing was that the remnants of Chumby.com was able to be acquired by Duane. Sony seemed to balk Duane's offers and for what reason? Surely they knew the Dash was heading for life support. It seems like it was not in Sony's interest to have its own dedicated server in the first place seeing what has happened now.