Topic: HTML Engine?

I'm wondering if anyone has ported an HTML rendering engine (e.g., WebKit or similar) to the Chumby?  I'm interested in sending HTML to the Chumby for display, so not exactly asking for a web browser per se (which I've heard the Classic, at least, is underpowered to handle), but sometime that would render HTML to the Chumby screen.  Any thoughts or ideas about doing this on the original (Classic) Chumby?

Re: HTML Engine?

Years ago I built the webkit demo provided with Qt for the chumby based on this guide:

http://joe.blog.freemansoft.com/2011/01 … it-on.html

I actually still keep the install on a USB stick with a debugchumby script to hi-jack my Infocast 8 that I use around Christmas time as a count-down to my light display.

I'm not sure the Chumby Classic will be a good target for this, but you can try!

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Materdaddy wrote:

Years ago I built the webkit demo provided with Qt for the chumby based on this guide:

http://joe.blog.freemansoft.com/2011/01 … it-on.html

I actually still keep the install on a USB stick with a debugchumby script to hi-jack my Infocast 8 that I use around Christmas time as a count-down to my light display.

I'm not sure the Chumby Classic will be a good target for this, but you can try!

Thanks!  I've downloaded this onto a USB drive on my Chumby Classic -- which has a much smaller screen size than the Infocast 8 -- and I get a window with the upper-left corner of a browser in that window.  However, there is not enough of the window visible to see any content.

I then downloaded the 'fullscreen browser', from the link on your web page, and I get the browser running in full screen ... and I can see the upper-left corner of the www.chumby.com page - success!

However, I want to run the browser without any of the browser controls or "chrome", since I just want to display some HTML, so I downloaded the "kiosk browser".  When I use that, I get a blank white screen with an arrow cursor in center of the center.

That said, the browser-in-a-window is 459,012 bytes, the full-screen-browser is 459,012 bytes, and the link on your web page to the kiosk-browser is only 4,760 bytes.  In addition, the link to the kiosk-browser is a file named wv.

So I'm wondering if the link for the kiosk browser -- which presumably will display a page without any browser controls or chrome? -- on your web page might be a bad/wrong link?  The link is to: http://files.chumby.com/browser/wv

Since I assume that your Christmas time count-down is probably (?) running in kiosk mode, if it's not too much troubled easy enough to do, I was wondering whether you could verify the link, and if it is wrong, provide a link to the right file?

Otherwise, if it is the correct file, I don't expect you to spend any more time on this, but I was encouraged by the full screen browser displaying a corner of the www.chumby.com page.  However, the browser controls and chrome takes up a substantial amount of the small Chumby Classic screen, rendering it mostly useless for my purposes.

Thanks,

Dave.

Interesting.  The one I use specifically is something I built and includes a complete root filesystem that has support libraries (it isn't built as a static binary).  I'll try to take a look soon, but I'm busy with things before my 2 week vacation next week.  Hopefully you're not in a hurry.

Ping me in a couple weeks if I haven't replied with more information.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Materdaddy wrote:

Interesting.  The one I use specifically is something I built and includes a complete root filesystem that has support libraries (it isn't built as a static binary).  I'll try to take a look soon, but I'm busy with things before my 2 week vacation next week.  Hopefully you're not in a hurry.

Ping me in a couple weeks if I haven't replied with more information.

Thanks, not in a hurry, and in the mean time, I've found a page covering Qt+WebKit on a Chumby One, which has the same screen resolution as the Classics that I have.  I may give that a try, as they have a separate "browser" replacement which is a different size than the one you provided for the Infocast.

Have fun on your vacation!