Topic: Youstreams migration

Youstreams will be undergoing some maintenance.

The Youstreams widget relies on the Google App Engine backend.  That backend is undergoing significant changes that require a migration of the database from one system to an entirely different system.  The old database system will be going offline sometime tomorrow.

Ratzfatz has recently shared the code and given me access to the appropriate account on Google, and I am working on performing the migration.  There's a small chance I may not be successful since it's a relatively tricky process.

I have written a script that pulls the data out of the Google system - unfortunately they don't provide a method to simply dump the database.   I don't have *all* the data - apparently Google seems to have treated my script as an attack and

If you are a heavy Youstreams user, it might be worth the effort to copy the information from the Youstreams web console in case the migration is not successful.

In the long run I am working on creating a functional replacement for Youstreams, hopefully as a "first-class" music source.

Re: Youstreams migration

The Youstreams migration is complete, and it appears we got all the data.  Please let me know if you have any problems.

There's a *chance* you might have to reboot your device, because it's possible the IP for the Youstreams server has changed, and the device might be holding onto the old one.

3 (edited by songmaster 2015-07-11 06:47:21)

Hi Duane,

I just rebooted my I8 and I still get "unable to contact server at http://youstreams.appspot.com" from the Help button and no radio stations or podcasts loaded. The website itself does load on my iPad though, so I think this may be an issue with the widget. Anything else I can do?

Yeah, the server is throwing 500 errors.

It looks like the newer Google App Engine server is missing some necessary Java libs.  Weird that the pages are working, though.

I'll see what I can do.

I've reuploaded the original code as supplied to me by Ratzfatz, still fails the same way - so whatever the situation was when he did this has changed in an incompatible way.

This is a problem - GAE requires Java 1.7 to be installed on my machine in order to do development, but since my machine has Java 1.8, Oracle's installer won't install 1.7.  I cannot uninstall 1.8 because I require that for my job.

OK, I think I found the problem - back when this was originally created, GAE used Java 6, which apparently what the original Youstreams instance was using back in 2011.  Now it seems to require Java 7.  There is a way to request a particular project to use Java 6 instead, however, it requires review that may or may not be approved based on the justification , which is hard to make in our case.  As I said, I don't have a configuration to upgrade the code to be Java 7 compatible, and GAE does not support Java 8.

So the question is - what to do?

One option is to set up an alternative system on one of Chumby's servers that eliminates the dependency on GAE.  In addition to that, we could take the approach to convert YouStreams from a widget to a "first class" music source, alongside all of the others in the "Music" panel.  This has some advantages - you could play Youstreams in the background behind widgets, we could make them act as alarms, basically be better integrated into the system.  This would take a few weeks to implement.

Yay, integration would be really great if you can fit it in. If not, any other way of being able to play my own stream URLs on the I8 would be appreciated. On the 3.5" devices and I think even the C8 there is already a way to do that.

Thanks!

Hopefully I'm not nagging you Duane; is there any hope for us Youstreams fans?
I miss it so much!

Yes, I'm still working on it - the server side is done, working on the client side - it will be integrated into the regular music sources, no longer a separate widget.

Can you say how it will work? Still register online and configure as before? Will it appear as it was as a widget?  Just wondering how it will look and feel.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

It will appear as a "music source", like Pandora, SHOUTcast, etc.  It will not be a widget.  It will be available to everyone, not just those with subscriptions.

On the client, it will have an appearance similar to some of the other music sources, with scrolling lists, etc.

Configuration will be similar - the device will present a short code which is typed into the web interface to get to the interface where you enter the URLs.  The web interface is a bit more contemporary than the old one, using newer web technologies.

12 (edited by demarks51 2015-09-18 13:33:46)

Sounds great. One more source for audio.
What makes this different that My Steams?

MyStreams supports direct streams, PLS, and M3U playlists, and requires entry into the device itself.

YouStreams supports the same streams and playlist types, but also supports Podcasts (RSS with audio items), and the URLs are entered and managed on a webpage.  They can also be grouped into categories, and reordered.

So I just put podcast url in and listen? It's done from website interface like before?

Yes

When can we expect this to be ready? Just wondering...

I'm working on it nights & weekends, but it's going slower than I'd like.

Yeah.....still working on it.  It got pushed down the stack as I was fixing some broken widgets and repairing some customer devices, along with usual holiday season distractions.  Back on it again.

19 (edited by demarks51 2015-12-01 11:19:37)

If you can just post it when it is up and running. Look forward to this new feature. Hope you had a great thanksgiving weekend. I sure did.
BTW how did the Sony Dash units work out?

I will definitely post when it's ready.

The dashes should be arriving today.

21 (edited by demarks51 2016-03-24 12:05:47)

We stream YouStream?
Can we all stream for YouStream?

Any word on YouStreams?

It's all done for the small screens, just finishing up the variant for the large screens.

Will it post up on small screens yet or will you wait to do all at the same time?

25 (edited by demarks51 2016-10-12 11:42:08)

Any more word on YouStreams?

No update on this for several months.