Topic: Dash oauth_sessions Overflow!

I know Dash is Sony etc. etc. BUT I thought this was a fun message to receive today, and wanted to share:

https://twitter.com/IShJR/status/544945229946978304

I'm not sure if Chumby's tables are architected identically, but I guess I wanted to mention it as a potential issue that could befall our new service here if left unchecked... smile

Re: Dash oauth_sessions Overflow!

No, the new system handles device sessions completely differently from the old system, so this can't happen to us.  That was one of the more significant internal changes made when the system was rewritten for the relaunch, and this was one of several edge conditions it was designed to avoid.

Looks like they'll have to truncate the oauth sessions table to reset the autoincrement counter for the index - you can't reset the index counter to a lower number for this table type in MySQL. That means that all devices will lose their sessions, which will probably cause some brief mayhem, since those devices require a valid session to renew, otherwise they have to go through the full CP startup sequence to reauthenticate.  My guess is they'll have to force a system-wide reboot.

Awesome - I have to admit, I was a little surprised to see the INSERT exposed so flagrantly in a consumer device!  I hope they are aware of and working on the problem - Dash hasn't been EOL'd as far as we know, right?  Thanks for the insight!! smile

we're amazingly fortunate in that Duane actually cares about us and our chums.... unlike sony and their customers.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Of course, one advantage of that error message being so "flagrantly exposed" was that it's ridiculously easy to diagnose what's wrong and how to fix it.

Looks like they're back up and running.