Re: Anybody remember when they bought their first Chumby?

3 Classics - Beige, White, and Black.  My favorite ones.

1 Chumby One.

1 I8.

2 Sony Dash.

smile

I bought not one but *three* Infocast 8" Chumbies. My brother and especially my mom adore them.

They mostly use them as Pandora machines.  For that purpose the 8" black Infocast is *perfect* -- it looks nice, sounds loud enough, and is easy to manipulate when in the middle of a dinner party.

It's great to be back!

28 (edited by Catze2k2 2014-07-03 23:05:47)

I bought my first C1 one from a german online gadget store big_smile
When it arrived I realized it was already registered to someone, but Duane helped in getting it up and running again.

Then a second C1 was bought via ebay.

My third Chumby (I got from ebay too), was a classic in brown ...I would say it was in "mint-shape" with a gunnysack, instruction booklets and even 2 charms ready to be attached to it's side.

Aaaaaaaaaand I LOVE all three of them! Now that they are back in business, even more.

My first Chumby was purchased in Singapore (A WOWBOX8) while I was living out there a few years back.
I now have five units and a subscription.
The collection is growing too!

WOWBOX8
Chumby classic Latte (x2)
Insignia infocast 3.5"
Chumby One

The most recent was shipped to me from the USA and turns out to be registered to someone already (ID is chuck_barry) so I may be back to the forums for help if the seller isn't the previous owner. o_0

RushyNet wrote:

My first Chumby was purchased in Singapore (A WOWBOX8) while I was living out there a few years back.
I now have five units and a subscription.
The collection is growing too!

WOWBOX8
Chumby classic Latte (x2)
Insignia infocast 3.5"
Chumby One

The most recent was shipped to me from the USA and turns out to be registered to someone already (ID is chuck_barry) so I may be back to the forums for help if the seller isn't the previous owner. o_0

A: Can you post some pictures of your Wowbox? There isn't a lot of information online for English speakers about the device.
B: If you go to chumby.com, there's a large button labeled Deactivate a Chumby in the upper right.

I had been toying with Weather Direct items to get up-to-date weather and have a reliable clock on my wall. I thought it would be neat to find other internet clocks so I did a search and the Sony Dash came up. That looked cool but also found the Infocast and decided to find one. I think I paid around $25-30 on eBay. At that time I found out that Chumby.com was on the skids. I did contact Duane and he deregistered the unit and I reregistered it and it was great.
From there my Chumby family has changed over time.
Bought and sold variety of units. Some of the units I sold were having problems but someones rescued them and all I think are working.
Now I have:
1-Chumby Classic (morphed) in a Cedar Box (donated to me for just shipping costs)
1-Chumby Classic Latte (forgot where I got that one)
3-Infocast 3.5" (one is original one I got and others were acquire from others)
1-Infocast 8
1-Chumby 8 (latest one)
I never got a Sony Dash and maybe it was good I didn't. Don't really know their future. Wish Sony would pass the key to Duane so our cousins could join the family again.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

I bought my first one, sometime after the initial release -- I know I had to reserve one.

The intent was to do computer science experiments with my students, but it never could work with the district's wifi, and was to complicated for the average computer science student anyway.

So it stayed home and I did mad computer scientists experiments on it in the summer.

Like others, there are two many to count, just 2 in my office and 2 in my guest room office.

I bought my first black Chumby Classic through Internode in Australia in, I think, 2009. It was quite expensive, at least $200 AU. I bought a cream Classic through Internode at a somewhat discounted price sometime later, and a Chumby One from the US when they were first released.
Since then, I have bought two more black Classics locally off ebay, for much, much less than I paid for mine (about $20-$30 each, including postage). I have also bought both models of Infocast second hand from the US, as well as a Chumby 8 new from the Chumby Store when Duane brought Chumby back to life.
For the sake of completeness, I bought a Sony Dash a few weeks ago. I didn't really mean to buy it, but I put in what turned out to be the only bid on ebay ($29 US). Now that I've got it, I like it a lot. It has a very nice look, particularly with the way that you can have the time and weather displayed next to your choice of widget. It's a shame Sony's abandoned it. After logging on to the Sony site to set up my Dash, I received an email from Sony headed "Learn more about your new NULL". Sad but true.