Topic: infocast 8 freezes up

I own 2 I8s and one keeps freezing up. First notice the time does not move forward. I try to go back to settings and won't go back. Unplug or turn off and reboots and returns to normal for short time. This has happened several times lately. Thought it might be power supply but swapped power supply and does the same thing. Must be something else. Any ideas?

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Re: infocast 8 freezes up

Very weird. I just rebooted i8 it is now is running 2.8.86 cp and looks like a giant screen cc. It won't load space clock but I am listening to pandora. This i8 is running i8 mod to c8. Could this be the reason I am getting strange behavior?

It looks like the server isn't sure what device you're running. I'd try reimaging it with the instructions found here: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8654. This is off topic, but I found out that you can just image the I8 with C8 firmware to give it the C8 control panel.

It doesn't show ID number and I had to resign in to pandora. It is like it thinks it is a vCard with no id.
It is the i8 to c8 mod on this. Should I revert back to original firmware and to go back to i8 to c8 mod?

Wrong on me. This Not the mod one. It is the straight I 8. Touch screen does not sense anymore. Can't get to special options. Very weird.

If missing the ID number, then there are a couple of possibilities:

1) The script and binary that reads the device ID is corrupted, in which case a firmware update should fix it.

2) The crypto processor is malfunctioning, in which case it's a bigger problem since the server can neither identify the device type, nor exactly which device it is.  If this is the case, it might be possible address it by hacking up a script that provide enough information to get the stub server happy, but will present a much tougher issue to solve when the full service comes back online.

If you can ssh into the device, please run the command "cpi -p" and it should type your device's ID.

The command "chumby_version -h" should output the device hardware version, which should be "9.7" for an I8.

7 (edited by demarks51 2014-04-20 19:07:06)

This way over my head. I am not a hacker.
Touch screen is not working. It could because when in cc mod I tried to sync touchscreen.

Yeah, the touchscreen calibration on the C1 is different than the I8, so doing this would probably corrupt it.

If you can get into special options mode, see if you can reset to factory settings.

9 (edited by demarks51 2014-04-20 19:54:50)

I press on screen at boot and it just cycles to cp
Any hope to revive this puppy?

Still can't get to special options. No sensitivity from screen. Any other way to gain access to special options or getting firmware on I8?

Well, fixing it requires hacking.  Without SSH, you need to basically create a dongle that recalibrates the screen and forces the device into special options mode.

The other option is to open up both devices, remove the SD cards, then copy the good one over the "bad" one.

mind you, I don't think it requires a LOT of hacking...

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

13 (edited by demarks51 2014-04-21 19:39:52)

Can I take out the bad sd card and put new firmware for i8 on it? My other i8 is i8 to c8 mod. Or do  I need a complete image of the I 8 sd card? Is there a file I can download to replace the image on the corrupt one?
I have never sshd or whatever you were saying. All I know is something about putty and logging into the chubby or something.
What's the easiest way to get the sd card out? Not sure if I go thru the bottom or front.

Last night I took out the sd card from the bad I8. Tried to reflash it but it didn't work. Tried a new sd card and it didn't work either.

15 (edited by demarks51 2014-04-22 11:11:32)

Maybe I don't know what reflashing is. The original sd card evidently is formated in a  way that only some of the space on the card is available not all of it. The i8 will not start with new sd card with image on it. I put the original one after formatting it but nothing on it (?) and it boots to the CC control panel but no sensitivity on the screen. Can I send this sd card to someone who will be able to reflash it or do something to resurrect this little guy? My computer will not open the contents of the original card until it was formatted. It said it did not recognize the formatting of this card.

The card is formatted with multiple partitions that have filesystems used by Linux.  If you're copying files using Windows, for instance, that won't work.

You'd need a tool that will do a raw block transfer from an image file directly to the SD card.

some of you windows folks, step up with suggestions here wink I know you've done this stuff smile

18 (edited by demarks51 2014-04-22 13:36:30)

Can I send the sd card to someone who can do this and then just mail it back to me? Or is there a card already formatted that someone can send me. I can replace the sd or pay for the value of it. Could a C8 card work instead of an I8 card? I'm not picky. I would love to have another i8 to c8 mod unit. I really wish I could get a great deal on a for-real C8. I bought one on Amazon for $39 but then the people cancelled. Bummer.

diamaunt wrote:

some of you windows folks, step up with suggestions here wink I know you've done this stuff smile

*sigh*http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

So do I just take the image file and put it on the sd card with the software posted and it does it all?

pretty much, you get the image file, which is a file representation of the way the sd card should look to the chumby/computer, then you use that software to write the image to the card, as opposed to copying it on there.

give it a shot, it won't hurt anything any worse than the way it already is.

think of it like the card has a number of buckets that you put files into, if you copy the image file to the card normally, it goes into the bucket, whereas the image file itself actually has the layout, size, placement of the buckets, AND what's in them, all in that one file...   the software nathanm posted will take that layout description and write it, and all the other stuff, into the card, in the right places.

make sense?

22 (edited by demarks51 2014-04-22 15:24:57)

Sure. But it didn't work. Deader than dead now. Not even a heart beat.

well, you can send it to me and I'll write a new image to it, and send it back, if you want, are you sure you're using the right image file?

Come on people, make it easier. I would be happy to send an imaged SD card to You demarks51 if you could wait for postage from Australia (I have been called a soft touch ). Its tricky if you're not au fait with this stuff. I remember my frustration with my C1 when I screwed up the touchscreen calibration. Unusable! Anyway, you can email me. Having said all that, it would be good if you persevere with the diy path.

Oops just noticed we are talking I8. Not C8