Topic: Do I really need this computer?!?

I live next to a large university that sells off its old equipment at a very deep discount. I picked up a Dell mini 9 for $30!

They have Sun Java work stations that can be used with Windows or Linux.

The Sun Java W2100z houses two 2.6GHz AMD Opteron processors, 16GB of memory and up to four Ultra ATA disk drives.
Oh, and 2 DVD drives for a whopping $25.

So what is the problem you ask? Well my name is Larry and I am a computer hoarder! I have more computers than I can use at one time, and I am not sure what I will really do with this beast. I am leaning toward a nice home server but it would be way under utilized for that.

My main two computers now are quad core, dual screen setups so I really do not need the horsepower (or do I?).

My wife is good at noticing new computers so I have to have a very good reason for any new addition.

The burdens of addiction! yikes

Re: Do I really need this computer?!?

Well, I'm my family's computer hoarder. What I do with my different computers depends on what I need. For example, I run Tiny Tiny RSS and BOINC on an old Dell I have with Debian Wheezy. You could put Mythbuntu on it and use it as a HTPC. You could do what I do and run a webserver. Or, you could upgrade the hard drive, run XBMC on it, get a good antenna, and screw the cable guy. http://lifehacker.com/5981757/how-to-wa … dia-center. Tell your wife that you don't have to pay Comcast/Time Warner any more, and thus will save the family money.

nathanm wrote:

I run Tiny Tiny RSS

*thumbs up for TT-RSS*

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

diamaunt wrote:
nathanm wrote:

I run Tiny Tiny RSS

*thumbs up for TT-RSS*

Amen to that! (If you have a chance though, look at their forum. It's a work of art). Infocastme, if you're truly a computer hoarder, buy up the university's stock of computers and make a Beowulf cluster! In the summer, you could watercool the computers, and in the winter you could save on heating costs! A win-win situation. tongue

nathanm wrote:

[(If you have a chance though, look at their forum. It's a work of art).

I'd say it's not a good place for people that aren't willing to think for themselves and do their own share of googling and reading...

but fox is almost as fast as duane at fixin stuff.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

nathanm wrote:

You could put Mythbuntu on it and use it as a HTPC. You could do what I do and run a webserver. Or, you could upgrade the hard drive, run XBMC on it, get a good antenna, and screw the cable guy.

I have run a few MultiMedia servers ie Vortexbox, XBMC, and Plex but have not really found one I like. I just bought a Roku 3 for next to nothing from craigslist. It was new in the box and it is just the size to hide in the TV console. Roku is DNLA compatible so I can stream to it easily.

nathanm wrote:

Infocastme, if you're truly a computer hoarder, buy up the university's stock of computers and make a Beowulf cluster! In the summer, you could watercool the computers, and in the winter you could save on heating costs! A win-win situation.

I have considered setting up and running a cluster but have not figured out what to run on it! (applications that is) Here in Flagstaff AZ they are all about being green. (I just hope they do not see how much energy I use to power all my toys)

My will power is waning fast! Hey Nathan, wanna be my hoarder sponsor? smile

Too bad shipping would be more than the computer.  smile

But then, I have three unused computers stored in closets and three that are regularly used.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

But then, I have three unused computers stored in closets and three that are regularly used.

Welcome fellow hoarder! wink

infocastme wrote:
BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Welcome fellow hoarder! wink

I think this is a common condition around here.

10 (edited by infocastme 2014-04-09 13:27:44)

Ok guys, thanks for nothing! You did a great job at encouraging me to get it and not enough counseling against. I went out and bought the computer. I will give you an update when I have it up and running and my wife has not maimed me in a way that I cannot get on the forum.

Tell her it is a potential backup server for the Chumby system. She wouldn't want to put the poor Chumbys in danger would she?

infocastme wrote:

The Sun Java W2100z houses two 2.6GHz AMD Opteron processors, 16GB of memory and up to four Ultra ATA disk drives.
Oh, and 2 DVD drives for a whopping $25.

I still have a Sun sparcstation 5 with 256M of memory & a 1G drive. wink I fire it up every so often to see how the version of netscape I compiled from src in 1993ish looks on today's websites... a little like lynx is the answer. Have no idea why I keep it, memories of working on SunOS for so long...

servalan wrote:

I still have a Sun sparcstation 5 with 256M of memory & a 1G drive. wink I fire it up every so often to see how the version of netscape I compiled from src in 1993ish looks on today's websites... a little like lynx is the answer. Have no idea why I keep it, memories of working on SunOS for so long...

I have an Ultra 2 (which I maxed out; 2 CPUs, memory maxed out, 2*18Gb disk mirrored) and an Ultra 5.  I've not powered up either in over 5 years.  I haven't even bothered to build a Solaris86 VM these days.

Last year I used an emulator (http://people.csail.mit.edu/fredette/tme/) to restore some old SunoS 4 backups I have... worked well enough for single user mode but it kept crashing if I tried to fsck the disk images.

Nice. The thing about computers is that there's a sweet spot for cheap computing power:7-10 years, unless it's an Apple. At that point, the computers are old enough that people are willing to give away, but new enough that they can still be practical for a use besides "toy" or "space heater".

I have always been amazed that people are willing to give away perfectly functioning computers. I have owned one netbook that was purchased new and one laptop that I purchased used. The rest (over a dozen) were given to me from people who no longer wanted them for various reasons (too slow/old, infected, broken, etc.). Often I couldn't even convince them that a clean install or increase in RAM or hard drive replacement would make the machine work like new (or better). Seems they just wanted something new. Not that I am complaining... smile

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

I have always been amazed that people are willing to give away perfectly functioning computers. I have owned one netbook that was purchased new and one laptop that I purchased used. The rest (over a dozen) were given to me from people who no longer wanted them for various reasons (too slow/old, infected, broken, etc.). Often I couldn't even convince them that a clean install or increase in RAM or hard drive replacement would make the machine work like new (or better). Seems they just wanted something new. Not that I am complaining... smile

A friend at work gave me a Gateway AMD dual core MediaPC because it was not "working right". I did a clean install of the OS and it worked like a champ! I used it for a couple of years and even upgraded it to WIN7. It was retired because I inherited my wife's old work from home computer when she upgraded. It was an organ donor for some of the parts on my new not needed PC!

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Often I couldn't even convince them that a clean install or increase in RAM or hard drive replacement would make the machine work like new (or better). Seems they just wanted something new. Not that I am complaining... smile

Sadly, we live in a disposable society. Folks like us are an anachronism, "hoarding" parts and "outdated" (but perfectly serviceable) equipment, doing "weird" things like hacking up replacement Chumby power supplies, etc.

Our grandparents (or great-grandparents for you younger folk) would be proud of us though -- having grown up in depression-era families, throwing away and replacing something that could be repaired would have been tantamount to blasphemy. Ironically, my theory is that these depression-era families are the origin of our disposable society: once the country had recovered from the depression, these young mothers and fathers wanted "better" for their children, and in giving it to them may have inadvertently instilled the "gotta have it" mentality in them (i.e. the 1930's and "keeping up with the Joneses").