Topic: Returning units for salvage or refurbishing

Since chumby devices are a rarity nowadays, if you find yourself no longer wanting a unit you don't want to bother selling, or if you've replaced a defective unit, we'd appreciate you sending it to use for refurbishment, repair or salvaging for parts. This includes power supplies, too.

Send them to:

Blue Octy, LLC
9984 Scripps Ranch Boulevard
Unit 160
San Diego, CA 92131

If you can, also send an email to support@chumby.com so we know to expect it.

Re: Returning units for salvage or refurbishing

I have a Classic Chumby that has a dark stain on the screen.  How much to replace the screen?

I still need to go through those CC units to see what I have in the way of parts vs fully working devices.

I'll post when I know more.

The irony is that when Chumby was about to close, we had an entire box with about 100 screens that end up going to electronics recycling.

Duane wrote:

Since chumby devices are a rarity nowadays, if you find yourself no longer wanting a unit you don't want to bother selling, or if you've replaced a defective unit, we'd appreciate you sending it to use for refurbishment, repair or salvaging for parts. This includes power supplies, too.

Send them to:

Blue Octy, LLC
9974 Scripps Ranch Boulevard
Unit 160
San Diego, CA 92131

If you can, also send an email to support@chumby.com so we know to expect it.

FYI, when you get the chance, you might want to add this info to the chumby store "Shipping & Returns" page as it currently appears only to have some boilerplate text on it.

Duane wrote:

The irony is that when Chumby was about to close, we had an entire box with about 100 screens that end up going to electronics recycling.

That sounds like a very sad scene. sad

Duane wrote:

I still need to go through those CC units to see what I have in the way of parts vs fully working devices.

I'll post when I know more.

Sad

I could use one of those screens right about now....

There are two different types of CCs in volume in the field, 3.7 and 3.8.  They use completely different screens.  There are a few devices out there prior to 3.7 (mainly "First 50" units that users didn't choose to exchange), but they use the same display as the 3.7.

It's very difficult to determine which is which by looking at the device, though that information is displayed on the Settings=>Chumby Info screen - without a working touchscreen, the best way is to use a "debugchumby" script to capture the information and write it to a file on the USB drive:

#!/bin/sh
chumby_version -h > /mnt/usb/hw_version; sync

Based on that, I *might* be able to find a screen in storage - I've sent displays to other folks, mainly for C1s, though they're much easier to replace than for the CC.

I've got a 3.7 version CC in which the touchscreen is increasingly flakey. It's as if it was a separate layer and it slides around a bit, wrinkling up as I try to push on it.

How challenging would it be to replace the screen? I'm pretty comfortable doing component replacement work as I've changed batteries and screens on iPhones.

/Steve

In the case of the Classic, you'd have to remove the electronics from the leather housing.  This involves carefully peeling away the softer plastic from the hard plastic of the bezel without tearing it.

After that, it's a fairly easy process to replace the display if you have a replacement - 3.7 and 3.8 use different displays.