Topic: Anyone experiencing disconnects from the server

Since the server changed hands, I have been experiencing random disconnects resulting in the device thinking it lost wi-fi connection and prompting to log back in. This is rather inconvenient to deal with when trying to sleep. I don't like worring that my alarm will not go off as a result. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Re: Anyone experiencing disconnects from the server

In before the usual suspects come up with "!!!use zurks' firmware!!! OMG ponies!!"

What type of devices is it - and what do you mean by "log back in"? Is it prompting to configure your wifi?

Sorry should have added more.

Chumby 8 and it is asking to configure wi-fi. Never had this issue before even with a power outage. It would normally just reboot and go back to the preferred widget.

Is it actually rebooting and coming to this screen, or is this screen just popping up?

If you do a manual reboot, does this screen show up?

I don't know if Chumby is rebooting because I have been asleep when it happens.

Hmmm, OK, I'll take a look at the Control Panel source code to see if there's some way for this dialog to appear that might be related to the server.

I'm not getting any other reports of this behavior on C8, and my device isn't doing this, but that's not to say it's not happening.

The server itself is not overloaded - it's running about 35% CPU and a constant 2.0Mb/sec outbound, so it's not under any strain, and should be able to handle all the requests.

It's troubling that it's asking for Wifi config - I wonder if something's going on with the Wifi hardware itself.

There is always a possibility that the WiFi router is acting up. As far as I can tell it is working fine. Only some minor issues with random slow webpage loads that are likely beyond my ISPs control given how unpredictable the nets can be. This isn't a new problem and was present before the switchover. I just saw it as coincendental that after the forced reboot due to the server switchover I started having connections issues.

If for some reason the homepage fails to load, does the Chumby assume it has lost wi-fi connection?

The chumby periodically fetches a file from Chumby's servers to see if it can reach them.   If that fails enough times, it may react in some manner - that depends on which type of device it is. It's been a while since I'm looked into the C8 Control Panel code to see what it does.  The CC and C1 show the "disconnected clock" state and go into a rather complicated polling strategy, and generally reconnect on their own.

I may have to check the power supply. I noticed on the boards that there is a known issue with it failing over time. It might not be supplying enough power to keep the internet connection reliable and the timing was just coincidental.