Re: "Stub" server scheduled to go live on Wednesday, February 20 2013

Yes, it's interesting - I'm seeing a lot more devices showing up than I expected, *especially* first-generation Classics.

Right now, authenticated chumby Classics (3.x) are outnumbering chumby Ones (10.x), and first-gen Classics (3.7) are outnumbering second-gen (3.8).

Some of these look they haven't been online for years - I guess I'll have to get the over-the-air firmware update mechanism working to bring these all up to date.

Duane wrote:

Some of these look they haven't been online for years

I can confirm that smile

I own my chumby since 2007 and it was online only a few times when I was testing something. (I handn't had wifi when I bought it.) And these days I let him go online again to test the stub server.

153 (edited by tupholme 2013-02-25 01:54:53)

tupholme wrote:

All good with my Classic here in the UK, thanks - switched over sometime yesterday on its own. I knew it was coming as I follow on Facebook. Thanks for your ingenuity in planning this and your skill in executing it!

Just reporting a couple of funnies I've observed with the radio stations. I'm definitely NOT asking for time to be spent on this, more just making a contribution of data. Since the switch over I don't have 'iheartradio' at all, when I'm pretty sure I had it before (didn't use it). Also, in the Sleep Sounds (which I do use), the 'Drone Zone' station has started working when it had been broken for years previously, but at the same time 'Sleepbot Environmental' has disappeared.

Chumby Browser - FYI - I cant save any urls under the bookmarks in the browser or delete or set defaults, with this feature we could find our own weather related sites and save them for quick reference.......

Thanks again for keeping my Chumby alive.

I just had a couple questions and I apologize in advance if they've ready been addressed elsewhere on the forums.

Do you still have a backup of the Chumby apps?

Will they be made available again once you are set up on a new server?

Are you still considering setting up a Kickstarter fund where we could help you get things back to where they were? I would think quite a few people would donate at least $10 to keep it running.

I do think the ST clock was a good choice for the default clock, but I thought the PONG clock had a lot of charm to it as well.

Thanks

All answered at www.chumby.com

Thanks,
I had figured all communication had moved here.

I hope you will consider Kickstarter crowd funding and maybe give away some Chumby perks for larger contributions.

What kind of perks would you suggest - keeping in mind that I don't have any substantial number of actual chumbys?

Duane wrote:

What kind of perks would you suggest - keeping in mind that I don't have any substantial number of actual chumbys?

I guess it all depends on the amount of stuff you have left.

Set your goal to what it would cost to continue service for at least a year and do something along the lines of this:

Pledge $10:
Help keep Chumby going for a full year

Pledge $20 and receive:
A full year of continued service
Plus a set of Chumby Charms and stickers

Pledge $25 and receive:
Everything in the above tiers
PLUS "a bunch" of Chumby stickers

Pledge $30 and receive:
Plus a large Chumby knit bag (or whatever they are officially called)

Save the Chumby's you have left for the higher donations.

Pledge $75 and receive:
As well as an original Chumby setup

Pledge $100 and receive:
As well as a Chumby One setup

I just think you'd get a lot more donations if you can reassure them that it will continue for at least a year.
And people like to get "free" stuff when donating.

I think that list is a little unrealistic. 'Pledge $X & see the chumby service continue & hopefully go back to a full widget set/improved' would be what I'd be happy with.

I was thinking something along these lines (with each tier including the stuff from previous tiers)...

$1 - Credits on the Chumby site

$5 - A special title on the forum

$10 - Chumby sticker

$15 - Chumby charm

$20 - your choice of C8/I8 or C1/I3 power adapter (to adapt a standard 2.5mm x 5.5mm supply to the Chumby's plug)

$35 - A 5V/2.5A power supply with 2.5mm x 5.5mm connector to go with the adapter

$50 - An exclusive Chumby "it lives!" shirt

I'm not sure what to do above that, as Chumbies are not in production any more, and I don't know what inventory Duane might have left in that regard... but assuming there are any CCs, C1s, or C8s still available, they would probably have to be priced a little higher (remember, this is also trying to raise money to fund the servers, not just "buy a Chumby").

Duane wrote:

I had assumed people would just go to www.chumby.com  - go figure.

Home pages?  Bah.  Everyone knows all the real information is in the forums!

163 (edited by bobsz 2013-02-25 21:00:54)

Pledges???? Free stuff? In my mind, we've been getting free stuff from Chumby for years, ie free content and free support. Now it's just time to finally chip in. Maybe offer something like custom-designed avatars that one of us could make, or something similar with no cost outlay. Listing contributors is a fine idea too, Doktor Jones. If you think you need something concrete, why not something just pure fun, like the old Woot "Bag o'crap" promotions? I think a lot of us users would be happy to contribute "prizes" like generic cell phone cases or whatever.

Honestly, I think the vast majority would see the continued life of our Chumbys enough of a "prize."

Sorry this comment has gotten so far off topic, but I know we still don't have a "donations" topic yet.

Duane wrote:
r1vver wrote:

And, btw, is it normal to get "No profile supplied" from time to time now?

That appears to be a bug - I'll look into that one when I get a chance.  It looks like one of the server requests may be failing.

Any news? "No profile supplied" becomes most frequent "widget" for me.
Could this be related to DNS? I'm using google dns if that matters.

Not it's not a DNS problem - that bug is bubbling up quickly to the top of my list.  I had a very more timely issues, plus the ongoing work shutdown of the old chumby service before the end of the month.

I've seen the "no profile" popup a few times on my C8 which is on the test server, including once this morning.

servalan wrote:

I think that list is a little unrealistic. 'Pledge $X & see the chumby service continue & hopefully go back to a full widget set/improved' would be what I'd be happy with.

What part do you find unrealistic?

The facts are that nothing generates donations like freebies.

That's pretty much the basis of Kickstarter. I donate to quite a few of them and it's not always for the freebies,
but you can see how people raise their funding from the basic level to a higher level for the free "whatever".

Anyway, it was my answer to him asking what perks I would suggest based on my limited knowledge of what Chumby
branded items he has in stock.

spoonman wrote:
servalan wrote:

That anything other than the pledge is available in sufficient quantities that they would be the basis of an ongoing revenue stream & not a source of great angst when 100 people 'donate' expecting a real live chumby in the mail. I don't really know - I'm just guessing.

servalan wrote:

That anything other than the pledge is available in sufficient quantities that they would be the basis of an ongoing revenue stream & not a source of great angst when 100 people 'donate' expecting a real live chumby in the mail. I don't really know - I'm just guessing.

See my suggestion for perk levels -- they offer stuff that I'm fairly certain Duane has in adequate supply, or that can be produced on-demand with enough room for profit still.  I've discussed this with him in some detail, and when the time comes (assuming things go the way we hope/plan) there will be plenty of incentives for people to support a funding campaign big_smile

That said, there is no 100% guarantee that he will be running any such campaign yet, but at the least it hasn't been ruled out.

Doktor Jones wrote:

See my suggestion for perk levels -- they offer stuff that I'm fairly certain Duane has in adequate supply, or that can be produced on-demand with enough room for profit still.

That's good to know - I'll put my vote in for a girlie shaped tshirt. Those giant bloke sized/shaped shirts don't do a whole lot for me. wink

I am still using one of my orig. orange charms (flaming fish) as a stylus tethered to my chumby - its nose is exactly right for the touchscreen & no need for constant screen cleaning & maybe this perky conversation needs to move to another thread...

servalan wrote:
spoonman wrote:
servalan wrote:

Well that's why I started it off with "I guess it all depends on the amount of stuff you have left."

Anyway, not to sound negative, but I wouldn't expect too many $75 and $100 donations on service for this.
Most people are more comfortable with $10-$25.

IMO you need a better perk for higher tiers.

sweh wrote:

Suggestion: A read-only "sticky" post that has the topic "Why am I seeing a Star Trek clock?"

My Chumby rebooted yesterday (power brownout) and I noticed I had this clock, but there was no obvious announcement.  I finally found this thread, though ;-)

Also days should be in ISO 8601 format (YYYY-MM-DD).  And infrastructure servers should always be on GMT :-)

Relevant: http://www.xkcd.com/1179/

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

I did not realize what was going on, but of course noticed the very nice clock.  For the present, I will be happy to use my Chumby as a clock.  I hope to be able to get FM Radio PBS in the future, since I can not get is on a radio here in the mountains of North Caarolina.

jay1963 wrote:

I did not realize what was going on, but of course noticed the very nice clock.  For the present, I will be happy to use my Chumby as a clock.  I hope to be able to get FM Radio PBS in the future, since I can not get is on a radio here in the mountains of North Caarolina.

Did Chumby support iHeartRadio?  I didnt have it, but I might just not have loaded it.

Curious

All of the devices support iheartradio except the I8.  It's a Control Panel thing, not a widget.

If it's not showing up, you might have to reboot.