Re: End of Chumby as we know it...

I'd like to join the chorus of people that would be willing to donate to keep Chumby  alive. Thanks Duane

127 (edited by Joan Jett 2013-02-01 07:04:07)

+1 for donating.

Also, Duane, I don't know what sort of server model you are considering, but would some form of P2P integration be helpful or possible? I, for one, would be happy to keep a box online 24/7 to "share the load" so to speak. I have only a residential cable connection, but if we kept the per node {?} upload bandwidth down, I doubt it'd be a problem for most people. Just a thought.

Brian

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

Hey Duane... many thanks for all you've done for us. I've been watching the Chumby development closely and I'd like to offer some help. I actually live in San Diego as well... I used to work in the building right across the street from you guys... so not sure if that's any help to you at all, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I have a background in IT help desk and customer support, so I'm ready to lend a hand if you think I might be of some assistance to you.

@Joan Jett

The "stub" server that I'm going to be putting up initially just responds the current web services API for the current Control Panels and music sources, and serves up a single widget.  That's being done just to keep the devices from being bricks.

I haven't made any decision about what happens after that, and I'm interested in feedback.

And the clock widget is LCARS, correct?   smile

Yes - for now.  There is a version of it that shows other information as well that might eventually replace it once the corresponding services are enabled.

Duane wrote:

@Joan Jett

The "stub" server that I'm going to be putting up initially just responds the current web services API for the current Control Panels and music sources, and serves up a single widget.  That's being done just to keep the devices from being bricks.

I haven't made any decision about what happens after that, and I'm interested in feedback.

Ok. Well just let me add my thanks for all you do, it is very much appreciated. I know a lot of people have offered to donate $$ and I can do that too. But if you need bandwidth, mirrors, whatever, please put it out there. I'm sure you will get a good response!

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

I hate to sound stupid, but is Blue Octy the name of the "new" Chumby universe about to be born? I know I've been out of touch with a lot lately.

Blue Octy is the name of the new company - I'm just using it to refer to the new systems.  Everything will remain with the Chumby branding.

As others have already said, thanks for your efforts to keep our devices alive. It was only this evening that I learned of the impending chumpocolypse!

barnapkins wrote:

I dont know what good it will do at this point but I made this video i hopes of saving the Chumby network Please share! https://vimeo.com/58569110

Very well done!
You picked many of the greats for it and it was touching too. smile

Thanks so much Duane. Very much appreciate your efforts. I'm happy to put my hand in my pocket too. Cheers.

138 (edited by mianos 2013-02-20 22:08:15)

Ah, I so sad. sad I'll admit I never thought it would be viable and am somewhat surprised it lasted so long.
It's a shame as my original chumby still sits proudly on the kitchen bench. Until today it has been cycling between the stylish clock and the weather for years. My wife loved it. The construction is so organic. I'll shed a tear and try and stuff an android phone in the same place. It won't be the same.

^^ haha, I have a long time between posts!

mianos wrote:

I'll shed a tear and try and stuff an android phone in the same place. It won't be the same.

Don't throw your Chumby away just yet!  I'd suggest putting it in a box and keeping it in a safe place, because Duane is hoping to restore some (if not all) of its functionality, or offer alternative means of functionality (via HTML5/python/etc)... and the best may be yet to come wink

bbsux wrote:

Duane, I know its probably too late for this, but as long as you are working on code on the 8" units -- can you make it possible for them to have an alarm with whatever sound you want (like how the 3.5" ones will let you play a song from the music folder)

you *can* make the 8 play custom music for alarms, you just have to get a little tricky.

put the music on a usb, or copy it over to the device itself, if you've got space for it. (I use one of those barely bigger than the usb connector usb drives myself)

then go into the music menu from the main page (green notes). select 'my streams'.

create a new one, give it a name, and put in the url, in my example, using my usb mounted music, the url is:

file:///mnt/usb-AEA9-94FF/penguin.mp3

save it.  play it to make sure it works.

then while setting up the alarm, under alarm sound, pick 'music', and 'my streams'.

select the stream you set up before, and now wake to your music!

I tried using a playlist, and it worked a couple times, then quit... not sure what happened there.

I've also got the chumby reading my work schedule and setting itself, 'get up early' 'get up late' or 'don't get up at all' for weekends and holidays wink  but that was a bit of crafty awk programming. wink

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Duane wrote:

Blue Octy is the name of the new company - I'm just using it to refer to the new systems.  Everything will remain with the Chumby branding.

I've always wondered, why blue 'octy' when it looks like the blue critter only has six arms/legs? wink

diamaunt wrote:

I've always wondered, why blue 'octy' when it looks like the blue critter only has six arms/legs? wink

Would you prefer Blue Sexy?

Duane, i can house any servers here and provide service via fios but is it necessary for all the amazon interaction accounts. Can't just a self sufficient service be provided that utilizes free capabilities of the web?  Supplying unlimited generator backup power and internet is something i can provide. You have my personal email address that i will look for a responce from you. if a phone conversation is necessary to 'fill in the blanks' that can be done too.

elgeek wrote:

I am willing to bet the "Chumby faithful" here would be happy to donate some $ to see their name scroll past on a weekly/monthly widget.

"Chumby Lives!   Brought to you this month by Duane and  x  and y and z!   To donate, go here http....blahblahblah"

hell, i pay an annual fee for forums that are not near as much fun as keeping these little beasties alive!

regards,

elgeek

I'm right there with you!  Paying an annual fee for this would be no problem at all.  I was suprised from the beginning that this was all free.  MY check is ready to go.

Duane wrote:

The new "stub" server that I've created fully supports SHOUTcast.  You can try it our yourself (information in another thread).

I noticed that after a while, when I am listening to shoutcast it will display "no profile supplied"
Has anyone else seen this?

Yes, that's the C8 Control Panel timing out and wanting to return to playing widgets.  I haven't fixed that yet.

Odd shoutcast question. Sort of at the same time as all this, KUOW stopped showing up on the Shoutcast list. How can I figure out if it's an artifact of the chumby switchover, or a coincidence that KUOW is no longer on Shoutcast?

It would have nothing to do with the switchover - we keep no part of the SHOUTcast directory, but pass on the requests from the devices after attaching the API key.  We do cache common requests for an hour or so, but that's it.

i just did a search for "KUOW" on shoutcast.com and got no results.  Looks like they're gone, at least for now.

Duane wrote:
diamaunt wrote:

Would you prefer Blue Sexy?

sounds great to me wink I think what you've done for all us chumby lovers is *very* sexy *wink*

diamaunt -

diamaunt wrote:
Duane wrote:

blue octy is very coordinated so that two of the back legs are always hidden behind two of the front legs.  A legacy of many tap dancing classes.

cfg83