1 (edited by stein 2012-10-27 14:13:07)

Topic: Chumby - the device

thinking...

Re: Chumby - the device

When Chumby started, there was no iPhone.

The iPhone in general completely altered the entire consumer electronics landscape.  Companies that were considered untouchable industry giants are now hanging on by their toenails - RIM, HP, Nokia, Sony, even Microsoft is in trouble.  All but one brick and mortar retailer are gone. Couple that with the worst global economy in 80 years, and it's tough for anyone, let alone a small startup, to get traction.  Many "successful" products have hundreds of millions of dollars and many years behind them to get to break even - Xbox being a good example. It's reasonable to say that in the consumer electronics industry there's only one company doing well - Apple.

Even then, Apple has a phone carrier subsidy model built around it that hides (actually spreads out) the actual costs. Try buying an iPhone at retail without a multi-year data plan, for instance.

That particular article concentrates a lot on product execution but is missing some other critical things that bunnie talked about.  Even if you have the perfect product, you need millions of dollars in marketing to support it, which Chumby didn't have.  All these other companies could subsidize their new products during their growth phase with income from other products.

As to losses - whatever losses our investors may have incurred, it's *nothing* compared to the losses in value in the other companies in this industry.  Some of these companies have lost hundreds of millions, if not billions, of dollars of value over Chumby's lifetime.

I believe, as I think you do, that the Chumby fills a void which still exists even in a world with smartphones and tablets. Most people that actually have a Chumby recognize that - but you kinda have to have one to to see why.

3 (edited by bobsz 2012-10-25 15:15:55)

Re: Chumby - the device

First of all @stein, looks like you're a little out of touch, asking if Chumby's going to close. Since you don't seem to know it shut down almost a year ago, I guess that's why you've come up with such big plans for Chumby. But it's also a testimonial to the community that's kept this site going.

Some of the ideas you mention have been suggested by members in the forum, and many suggestions have been implemented. The Chumby 1 has a battery. And Chumby sure has "let the customer develop the product." Most of the apps, and even offline firmware, were developed by community members.

What a terrible, misleading article you refer people to. I actually read it. Most of the article is written by the author Terence Lee. If you read the actual quotes from bunnie, you see he didn't make any of those big criticisms alluded to. To put things in perspective, check out Terence Lee's current article, about how "intimate smart-phone enabled vibrators" are a great idea for a start-up. Don't miss the video-

http://sgentrepreneurs.com/2012/10/22/v … sentation/

No, a Chumby can't do that either. A Chumby is a Chumby, it's unique.