Topic: Chumby disaster

A plumber knocked over my Chumby 1 today. It fell on carpeting, from about 3 ft, but was bad enough that my battery popped out. It ran for a minute, but then lost the ability to find any wi-fi networks. Tried a factory reset, but no difference. Tried zurk USB, no difference. I'm assuming it's physical damage to the innards. If I opened it up to look inside, would there be anything in particular to look for- a loose connection, etc? Or, do you think I just have to get a USB-ethernet adapter and try that. Any thoughts would be *greatly* appreciated. Thanks.

2 (edited by bobsz 2012-10-25 07:50:49)

Re: Chumby disaster

PS- I know how to open the C1, but my hardware repair skills are near zilch. Opened it up, no obvious cracks or anything. Have to go out now for a few hours. Will check back later.

If it's having trouble with wifi, see if the network card came loose.

You might find this of some use:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/chumby+o … own/1614/1

It is a good sign that it powers up. I would follow Duane's advice and check the network card. I don't remember what the antenna looks like. Perhaps it was pulled loose?

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Thank you both! Duane, it was another genius diagnosis. Just pushed it back in and it's working perfectly. This morning my apartment's pipes backed up but all I was thinking about was losing my Chumby!