Topic: Software Update Available

I woke up this morning with the message on my Chumby saying "A Software Update is Available".  I had to get to work, so I didn't want to wait for it.  Did anyone else apply the update?  If so, what's changed?

I thought the company went out of business?

Re: Software Update Available

The last update for the Chumby 8 / infocast 8 is :
Release date: July 8, 2011
Chumby8 SW version 1.8.2 (firmware 1.8.3883) and control panel version 5.0.29
http://www.chumby.com/help/chumby_8/latest_software

For the Chumby 1 / Infocast 3.5 :
Release date: November 10, 2010
chumby one version 1.0.7 and control panel version 2.8.73
http://www.chumby.com/pages/latest_software#usbupdate

If you have the latest firmware and are still getting the software update message it could be an error with the server (which may download something which would brick your chumby) or the server got hacked somehow and is now downloading malicious updates. Either way i would not update the chumby without an official announcement from Duane or chumby.com along with release notes stating exactly what is being updated. The company is out of business and has no employees so no updates are going to be released.

There is no currently pending update.

Well this is weird.  As I said, when I woke up yesterday it said there was a software update available.  I could see in the upper right corner that I had 5.0.29 installed.  When I came home, the version number changed to 5.0.36 without any actions taken by me.  I do not get the software update message anymore either.

First time this has happened to me.  Anyone else have your control panel downgrade on it's own only to have it update later on?

Are you using zurkware, or did you give it a try in the past?

When I read your post yesterday, I noticed my C8 control panel said 5.0.36 and C1 said 2.8.85. (Using the Chumby server.) I checked and found that those updates aren't noted anyplace on Chumby, even as a beta. I guessed that maybe the CP version numbers had changed because in the past I'd used zurk's offline versions, then removed them. I asked on the Sourceforge zurk forum, but didn't get a clear answer. Weirder yet, I just replugged zurk v18 back into my C8, and then it said 5.0.35. Then I unplugged that and went back to the Chumby server and it says 5.0.36 again.

So, that's all I can figure, we're seeing zurkware CP numbers for some reason, and they don't permanently change back to the "real" CP numbers when we go back online. Maybe someone else has noted the same quirk.

I released new Control Panels for all devices quite a while ago, though the website's release notes don't reflect those updates since I don't have ready access to that part of the site.

It sounds like the offline firmware is built around older Control Panels.

I am not using Zurk's offline firmware nor have I tried it in the past.  The only software/firmware that has been used is whatever was sent from the Chumby servers.  If it does it again, I think I'll try a reflash with the last firmware from chumby. 

I wish I could just put Zurk's firmware on instead without using a usb boot or copying the files manually using ssh.   That scares the hell out of me.

prdfy wrote:

I wish I could just put Zurk's firmware on instead without using a usb boot or copying the files manually using ssh.   That scares the hell out of me.

Have you considered getting another microSD card?  You could image your Chumby's current microSD over to the new one, then put the original aside for safekeeping and try flashing to Zurk's on the new microSD card.  Worst case scenario you brick the firmware on the new microSD, and just take it out and replace it with the original, and are back to stock Chumby.  If it does work fine, then you've still got your old microSD as a backup in case something ever happens to the new one smile

Of course this requires cracking the Chumby open, but that's not a terribly difficult process, and as long as you observe standard precautions (don't let your kid rub a balloon on your hair while you're doing this, don't disassemble it while it's plugged in, etc) you run almost no risk of hurting anything inside it.