Topic: What's the future of the 3.5" devices?

Has the Chumby One been discontinued?  I noticed that the store says it's "out of stock", and only the Chumby 8 (or is it Chumby ??) is prominently displayed.

I love my Chumby Classic, but I'm afraid it won't last forever.  I use it mainly as a smart alarm clock and love waking up to Pandora.  I really missed the boat about a year ago when Best Buy was selling off the Infocast devices really cheaply.  I should have picked one up as a spare in case my Classic ever craps out on me.

Is Chumby Industries moving away from the smaller format devices in favor of the larger 8" ones?  Are any industry partners working on small format devices?  Or will I have to get used to a big 8" device on my nightstand eventually?

Re: What's the future of the 3.5" devices?

MSlafka,
   Yes, currently we are out of stock on the chumby ones. I was waiting to see if we were going to get in another small run of production units before completely removing them from the store, but that is looking less and less likely. As for other companies making other small screen units, there is a company making the "WOWbox" which can be seen on our activation page below, however I have no idea of a time frame for when those will be released.

http://www.chumby.com/pages/activate

-chumbyross

ChumbyRoss, Thanks for the information.  I'll be on the lookout for the WowBox (a Google search of the term mostly returns pictures of the World of Warcraft box cover).

It's too bad that there hasn't been a direct replacement for the Chumby Classic.  I really like that it was designed to be picked up -- rolling over in the morning and picking up that little leather beanbag to view my morning e-mail is a nice feeling.

Is the Funbox the same device as the WowBox?  Perhaps the name changed or was reported incorrectly to start with?

5 (edited by bobsz 2011-10-13 22:19:08)

Two versions of the Wowbox just showed up on Chumby's own page of devices:
http://www.chumby.com/pages/chumby_devices

There's a 3.5" one and a larger one. The links on the page show the details. List $135 for the small one. Yes, we all should have bought more Chumby Ones from Woot or Best Buy! I saw a picture of the "funbox" and it looks like the Wowbox. Maybe the "Funbox" name sounded a little funny.

It's a shame to hear there won't be any more "real" Chumby Ones. Maybe they'll do that one last production run someday. I think a lot of us would buy another even back at that $100 regular price.

My local BestBuy still has a couple of 3.5" Infocasts on sale for $50.

pearmaster wrote:

My local BestBuy still has a couple of 3.5" Infocasts on sale for $50.

Wish there were still some available around me. They are getting pretty rare. Even if you were to only use them as internet radios they would still be a steal at $50. Grab at least one while you still can.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

I've purchased a few off of ebay, where they are selling in the $30 range for the 3.5" models and in the $40 range for the 8 inch model.  Most of those devices are used to some degree, but it is something to consider if you want another one or two.  There is a pretty good supply of both models, getting one at a good price might take a week or so of patience.  I've seen a couple sell for under $20 (after shipping costs).

Much more rarely do I see a Chumby One up for sale on ebay, the last one sold for $45 after shipping.

Looks like J&R Music still has a limited supply of Chumby Ones in stock for $99.

http://www.jr.com/chumby-industries/pe/CMY_CHUMBYONE/

So get 'em while you can!

village idiot wrote:

Is the Funbox the same device as the WowBox?  Perhaps the name changed or was reported incorrectly to start with?

Apologies for rezzing a rather old thread... but whatever became of the Funbox?  Was that just a working name for the WowBox, or is/was this by a different manufacturer?