Topic: Trouble Connecting to WiFi

So, usually, when the Chumby One starts, to take 8-10 tries to connect to WiFi. It usually says "wlan is down" and I need to retry.

BUT, If I cup the Chumby in my hands as it tries to connect, it works EVERY TIME. My theories:

A. The Chumby is lonely and just wants to be loved.
B. The antenna wire is not doing anything.

Once the Chumby is connected, though, it has no problems streaming content. So, clearly, it's getting signal without me holding it.

Re: Trouble Connecting to WiFi

neurofuzzy wrote:

So, usually, when the Chumby One starts, to take 8-10 tries to connect to WiFi. It usually says "wlan is down" and I need to retry.
B. The antenna wire is not doing anything.

Theory B is correct. The antenna wire is for the FM radio. It does nothing for the wifi.
I found that my Chumbys did not connect easily to my old Netcomm router unless they were set up with static IP addresses. This is not necessary with my new Dlink router, however.
I suppose my other question is what do you mean by 'when the Chumby One starts'? If you leave it on all the time, does it maintain the connection? If you don't leave it on all the time, have you thought of trying this? It might save a lot of bother.

Interesting. I didn't know the antenna was only for the FM radio.

I assigned my Chumby a static IP address a couple of months ago. Sadly, it didn't help.

I don't leave my Chumby on all the time. I usually turn it off overnight. It gets a little warm and I cut power to all of my wall warts before I hit the sack. smile

It never loses the connection once it starts and connects successfully. Some high-bandwidth audio streams stutter at times, unless I walk over to the Chumby and put my hand on it. Poor little Chumby.

Know its not ideal, but there are some wired ethernet adapters that are compatible with the chumby...
Kinda wish the chumby would support a second/alternate wifi dongle, perhaps even something N or similar via the USB connector..(Makes a crack about putting a Alfa USB wireless on a C1/C8)

I was unable to get the chumby one to connect to the wifi router.  After reading this forum, I wrapped my hands around while it was logging in and it connected right away.  It doesn't sound scientific, but it works!  Thank you!