Topic: JVM?

Will the OS come with a pre-installed JVM for us java developers? I would love to distribute a Java application on Chumbies. Maybe j2me?

Although this may be a hardware question, I'm also curious whether the Chumby can detect other nearby Chumbies and share information that is made public. I'm used to OS X and don't work with Linux much, but on an Apple it's as easy to access the network as browsing the file system. That would introduce all sorts of possibilities for social Chumbies.

Re: JVM?

No, the chumby does not currently include a JVM - I'm sure somebody will hack one in at some point.

The chumby does support zeroconf (what Apple calls "Bonjour").  A chumby will show up in the "Bonjour" menu in Safari, for instance.  It also runs a tiny webserver designed to display status information.

Would the IBM J9 KVM for linux work on the chumby?

Probably - but there's a better option.

The processor core we're currently using is the ARM926EJ-S.  The "J" in that means Jazelle which is means that the processor is capable of executing most Java bytecodes directly in hardware.

All it takes is for someone to dig around Sun's site and notice that you can target their JVM for "linux-jazelle" - you'd end up with a very snappy, small JVM for the chumby.

Hopefully somebody will rise to the challenge.

A few months ago, I posted instructions on how to build a simple JVM for the chumby here.

So I did some looking and it appears that the phoneME project should work.

https://phoneme.dev.java.net

However I can not get it to work yet.

Anyone else want to try.

It this works, then all kinds of fun J2ME programs could run on the chumby,