Topic: GNU Toolchain for Mac OS X?

Hello all,

Is there a wiki/tutorial for beginning Chumby native app development on the Mac OS X like there is for linux:
http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … _Toolchain

Before I go ahead and build the toolchain for arm from scratch, I just wanted to confirm if the Chumby community has already done so and providing a pre-compiled toolchain like it does for linux.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks you!

SG

Re: GNU Toolchain for Mac OS X?

There isn't a toolchain for Mac OSX - if you built one that would be great!

Those of us here who use Macs typically run Linux in VMWare.

Duane,

Thanks for the info. I will post instructions/binary once I get it working on Mac.

I don't really want to use VM + Linux. Its just not elegant smile

SG

Alright so building the toolchain on Mac has been a LOT more harder than I imagined. I have spent last 3 days getting it to build but failing at one step or another (getting closer though).

I am trying to build using the CS SG++ source (q12010).

Building for arm-eabi was easy, but it is arm-linux that I am stuck on.

I will post instructions/binaries once I get this nailed.

Thanks!

Sidhant

Finally!! big_smile

I have just managed to compile the arm-linux cross toolchain with eglibc on Mac OS X after 4 days of non-stop troubleshooting more than a dozen errors and incompatibilities I came across.

I had to write patches for a couple of files to make them compile. I will need to test in coming days if that causes any problem (should not in theory). The only thing that now remains is the GDB.

I will soon post the instructions.

sidhant-guptas-macbook-pro:obj Sidhant$ $tools/bin/$target-gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: arm-none-linux-gnueabi
Configured with: /Users/Sidhant/Projects/arm/arm-2010q1-202-arm-none-linux-gnueabi/gcc-4.4-2010q1/configure --target=arm-none-linux-gnueabi --prefix=/Users/Sidhant/arm-linux/tools --with-sysroot=/Users/Sidhant/arm-linux/sysroot --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libssp --disable-libgomp --disable-libmudflap --enable-languages=c,c++
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.4.1 (GCC) 

6 (edited by sidhant 2010-08-05 10:08:58)

Here are the binaries for arm-none-linux-gnueabi for a Mac OS X system. I compiled the cross tool chain on a Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.4 (i686-apple-darwin10).

The source was obtained from CodeSourcery (q1-2010 for GNU/Linux).

Download the binaries from here:
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/sidhant/arm-linux/

The installation is similar to what is described in the Chumby Wiki. If you have any problems, please leave a post and I will try and get back asap.

Thanks!

Sidhant

Very nice work!

Do you have any objections to us mirroring this on our file server?

Duane,

No, please go ahead and do so. Anything that makes it easier for Mac developers out there.

I am writing up the instructions, patches and trying to make a script that compiles everything from scratch. Once that is done I will post it up here so that you can put it on the wiki or something.

Thanks!

Sidhant

sidhant wrote:

Finally!! big_smile

I have just managed to compile the arm-linux cross toolchain with eglibc on Mac OS X after 4 days of non-stop troubleshooting more than a dozen errors and incompatibilities I came across.

I had to write patches for a couple of files to make them compile. I will need to test in coming days if that causes any problem (should not in theory). The only thing that now remains is the GDB.

I will soon post the instructions.

sidhant-guptas-macbook-pro:obj Sidhant$ $tools/bin/$target-gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: arm-none-linux-gnueabi
Configured with: /Users/Sidhant/Projects/arm/arm-2010q1-202-arm-none-linux-gnueabi/gcc-4.4-2010q1/configure --target=arm-none-linux-gnueabi --prefix=/Users/Sidhant/arm-linux/tools --with-sysroot=/Users/Sidhant/arm-linux/sysroot --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libssp --disable-libgomp --disable-libmudflap --enable-languages=c,c++
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.4.1 (GCC) 

Excellent work! smile

Any luck with the compile instructions? I'd love to build the newest version.

Cheers!

P

Excellent work! smile

Any luck with the compile instructions? I'd love to build the newest version.

Cheers!

P

Hi Paul,

Thanks!

I am really sorry I did not post the instructions. School started and I just forgot. I will try and get the instructions up in a day or two. In the meantime please take a stab at it, and you can email me if you get stuck! smile

Few things that I remember:

1. Keep the build directory separate from your source directories
2. Some of the ./configure commands change the source, so it is best to work with a copy of the source
3. Start with building gmp, mpfr, binutils then gcc.

You will run into quite a few problems and thats where I had to write patches.

Honestly, it was a 2 day marathon and I did so many things to make it work that I don;t remember them now. Fortunately, I kept a log of my commands and console. What I need to do to write good instructions is redo everything and make a how-to.

I will get to it in a day or two or weekend at worst.

Happy hacking!

Sidhant

I visited this page back when I was trying to figure out how to build a GNU/Linux cross toolchain for Mac OS X.  Unfortunately, the original poster did not post the documentation on this adventure.

I have documented the procedure on how to do this here and have provided prebuilt binaries for Sourcery G++ Lite for ARM GNU Linux:

https://github.com/UnhandledException/A … r-Mac-OS-X

Please help out with building and documenting the procedure for newer versions of the toolchain as well.

I am in the process of documenting how to build Qt/Embedded with this toolchain, which I have successfully done and tested on an ARM device