Topic: Chumby *controlling* SlimServer?

I can play the streaming MP3 URL of my SlimServer just fine on my Chumby using btplay, but it would be awfully nice to be able to manage the playlist, stop/start playback, etc all from a UI on the Chumby itself.

Is there any way to do this that I'm missing?  I think it would just require a simple Flash web browser.  Does such a thing exist?

Re: Chumby *controlling* SlimServer?

Wel, it's actually pretty tough to write a browser in Flash, espeically one complete enough to operate the SlimServer's interface.

However, that's probaby not the best way to do it anyway.  It turns out that the protocol between the SlimServer and the Squeezebox is pretty simple and well understood, at least the for the older versions of the Squeezebox, which are apparently still supported.

So, a more practical approach may be to emulate a Squeezebox - still not possible in Flash, but much easier to create something callable from Flash and present a more useful UI on the device.

Duane wrote:

So, a more practical approach may be to emulate a Squeezebox - still not possible in Flash, but much easier to create something callable from Flash and present a more useful UI on the device.

Interesting.  I had forgotten about this, but there is a Java Squeezebox emulator called SoftSqueeze.  I wonder if it could be made to run on the Chumby.  Probably too heavy-weight though.

There are a couple of smaller ones - I think there's even a really small one written as a command-line program that would be a good start to wrap in a service.

There's also a weird little telnet interface to SlimServer that might work alongside the stream.mp3 interface.