Topic: Openembedded rootfs size limitation?

I'm still trying to get a good OE build for my big Infocast. When I try to change the rootfs size to something reasonable because I was running out of space, I get an error:

| + ROOTFS_SIZE=600000
| + genext2fs -N 50000 -b 600000 -d /stuff/output-angstrom-.9/rootfs/xfce46-image /stuff/output-angstrom-.9/deploy/eglibc/images/chumby-silvermoon/Angstrom-xfce46-image-eglibc-ipk-v2011.05-chumby-silvermoon.rootfs.ext3
| genext2fs: not enough memory for filesystem
NOTE: package xfce46-image-1.0-r1: task do_rootfs: Failed

Is this a chumby limitation? My sd card is 4 gb so it could easily have two partitions at almost 2gb each..

Re: Openembedded rootfs size limitation?

Bump, does anyone have ANY idea about this?? This is killing me - most of the X based images I am trying run into this issue. I just changed the ROOTFS size but I just don't know what filesystem it is talking about when it says out of memory.

http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php/Advanced_OpenEmbedded
You're meant to change your IMAGE_ROOTFS_SIZE in chumby-silvermoon.conf

[i.e. your 600000 is greater than the image default of ~450000.]

Uh, that is where I changed it. I don't know of any other way to change the rootfs size than editing that file. I get the error when I leave the file untouched. You can ignore that number for the time being, I just get the message no matter what.

Are you running this in a VM?...

No, it's just on my Linux computer that has plenty of hard drive space...not that much RAM, but that shouldn't matter for this issue...

Some more logs to help with the confusion. Note that the 990000 is the root fs size set in chumby-silvermoon so please ignore it - I've tried setting it to various things and it never works.

| ++ du -ks /stuff/output-angstrom-.9/rootfs/xfce46-image
| ++ awk '{size = 10240 + $1; print (size > 990000 ? size : 990000) }'
| + ROOTFS_SIZE=990000
| + genext2fs -N 50000 -b 990000 -d /stuff/output-angstrom-.9/rootfs/xfce46-image /stuff/output-angstrom-.9/deploy/eglibc/images/chumby-silvermoon/Angstrom-xfce46-image-eglibc-ipk-v2011.06-chumby-silvermoon.rootfs.ext3
| genext2fs: not enough memory for filesystem
NOTE: package xfce46-image-1.0-r1: task do_rootfs: Failed

O_O

Changing it to something LOWER helped...

You're running out of memory [Why I assumed you're using VM].

genext2fs has a calloc call that requires as much memory as the FS...

Ohh, so by memory they DO mean RAM? Crazy...Will keep in mind.

It appears to me that you are running out of memory here. You are probably running on a virtual machine are you not?  The reason why I said this is because the error stems from a void pointer to a memory allocation that is not there.  If not, then you probably need to buy additional memory or you would just keep hitting this bump again and again.