Topic: brower update

Just picked up the updated webkit browser when I booted the chumby today.  It works well enough to login and post this note.  Typing on a resistive touchscreen is a bit tedius, but doable.  Thanks for the useful update and keep up the good work!

Re: brower update

Thank you for your comments.  Greatly appreciated.

- chumby support

oarsman,

Hello. May I ask what updated browser are you referring to? Is it the Falconwing or Silvermoon QT? What kind of Chumby do you have?

That posting was from a Silvermoon Chumby (8" display).  You still need to use
the BCON easter egg option to enable browser controls.  But having done that, you can
click the top switch while browsing to display the address bar, enter an arbitrary web site
(like forum.chumby.com) and click in a text box to bring up the on screen keyboard
to enter credentials (username / password).  I think my fingers are too large to
type on a soft keyboard on a 3.5" screen!
Best Regards.

When is the browser going to be put on the Chumby One?

It is our intention to add a light-weight browser to chumby one, however, a release including the browser has not been scheduled as of yet.

This is an important update for me.  I cannot use my chumby as originally intended when I bought it because I didn't know my Chumby 1 wouldn't be able to enter a Wifi network password that my condo uses to authenticate the user.
All I need to be able to do is enter my user ID and PW on a webpage and that's it.  Any way to do this or are there any work arounds.

wdereski wrote:

This is an important update for me.  I cannot use my chumby as originally intended when I bought it because I didn't know my Chumby 1 wouldn't be able to enter a Wifi network password that my condo uses to authenticate the user.
All I need to be able to do is enter my user ID and PW on a webpage and that's it.  Any way to do this or are there any work arounds.

Typically, those types of authentication proxies simply add your device's MAC address to a whitelist.  Assuming this is the case, as an interim solution, you should be able to do the following:

1. open your chumby one by removing the screws from the backplate (you'll need a long, small gauge phillips screwdriver)
2. slide the back plate off
3. remove the USB WiFi adapter
4. insert it into your PC
5. connect to your condo's access point
6. enter your username/password
7. remove the USB WiFi adapter
8. insert it back into your chumby
9. connect your chumby to the condo's access point

Another alternative would be to install an application that changes your MAC address on your PC, and set it to the same MAC address as the WiFi adapter on your chumby one.

Yet another option would be to have the owner of the access point manually add your chumby one's MAC address to the whitelist.