Topic: How do I change the port Chumby uses for SSH?

I want to play with remote tunneling through the Chumby.  I do not want to pass a standard port through to the outside world.

I mounted / rw and uncommented and edited the Port line in /etc/ssh/sshconfig , /etc/ssh_config , /etc/sshd_config and did a shutdown via the "shutdown" command and reset the power (unplugged the AC adapter).  I got "Connection refused" on the new port I picked, luckily I can still log in on 22.  Where do I need to change the ssh port.  I understand the inherit danger because if I bork this I won't be able to log back in.  BTW: I assume the is a way to reflash the internal storage back to defaults and start over?  Is there a SD card image that will give me access to the Chumby CLI via the internal monitor and a USB keyboard?

I currently have port 22 forwarded to the Chumby on my internal router.  My network looks like:
[5Ghz link to my ISP]>[External Router in an out building]>[802.11g link to my house]>[Internal home router]>[Home network with Chumby]

From a workstation in the outbuilding (inside external router but outside home network) I can ssh into the Chumby CLI on  port 22 via port forwarding on the internal router.  However, I can't connect with Krusader via FISH (Krusader and WinSCP connect fine on the internal network).  Any ideas why this might be?

Re: How do I change the port Chumby uses for SSH?

If it's a Chumby 1, you can plug a USB keyboard and get a terminal on the actual chumby screen if you screw something up.  Get out your glasses though, it's awfully small for a terminal, but really cool.

As for changing the port, I used strace to see where /sbin/sshd was reading it's configuration and found /usr/local/etc/ was the spot.  I was able to successfully change the port by uncommenting/editing the Port line in /usr/local/etc/sshd_config after making the rootfs read/write.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Thanks Materdaddy, especially for cluing me into strace.  I'll see if I can bring up a terminal tonight before I make any more changes.  I have the 8" Infocast, so maybe I won't have to squint as much.

FYI, I'm not sure if that trick works on an 8" infocast.  I only have CC's, C1's, and a 3.5" infocast.  AFAIK, it works on the C1's and 3.5" infocast.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker