Topic: Adding Perl modules - possible?

Greetings.

I'm in the process of adding a 3rd party Perl-based application to my Chumby ones.  I need additional CPAN modules for this application, so I have been trying to add these in preparation, though without success.  Can anyone provide insight?

I'm using the Chumby Custom Perl build and I've tried from both my device as well as within a scratchbox environment. Basically both scenarios are failing while processing the retrieved package lists from the CPAN servers, and never get past the point of initial configuration.

When attempting on my device, I get as far as the following, after which I get a 'Killed' message:

chumby:/mnt/storage/home/.cpan/CPAN# perl -MCPAN -e shell

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.9402)
Enter 'h' for help.

cpan[1]> install Bundle::CPAN                                                                                                                                                                                                      
CPAN: Storable loaded ok (v2.21)
Going to read '/mnt/storage/home/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz'
CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok (v2.022)
CPAN: YAML loaded ok (v0.70)
............................................................................DONE
Going to read '/mnt/storage/home/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz'
Killed
chumby:/mnt/storage/home/.cpan/CPAN#

And when doing the same from my Scratchbox environment, the process just stops entirely without any messages.  I did find a core file associated with qemu-arch-cvs-m, perhaps I should use a stable version of qemu instead:

[sbox-Chumby: ~] > /psp/usr/bin/perl -MCPAN -e shell

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.9402)
Enter 'h' for help.

cpan[1]> install Bundle::CPAN                                                                                                                                                                                                      
CPAN: Storable loaded ok (v2.21)
Going to read '/home/clermontr/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz'
CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok (v2.022)
CPAN: YAML loaded ok (v0.70)
............................................................................DONE
Going to read '/home/clermontr/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz'
  Database was generated on Mon, 25 Apr 2011 17:27:44 GMT
CPAN: HTTP::Date loaded ok (v5.831)
  New CPAN.pm version (v1.9600) available.
  [Currently running version is v1.9402]
  You might want to try
    install CPAN
    reload cpan
  to both upgrade CPAN.pm and run the new version without leaving
  the current session.

CPAN: Time::HiRes loaded ok (v1.9719)

.............................................................DONE
Going to read '/home/clermontr/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz'
[sbox-Chumby: ~] > 

Re: Adding Perl modules - possible?

For what it's worth, changing the version of qemu for Scratchbox environment didn't help (in fact it made things far worse).

I'd appreciate any help getting these modules installed.  Else the only other option I see is to rewrite the Perl code in C.

Thanks.