Topic: GNU Toolchain- chumby1

I've been trying to setup the Chumby tool chain in Ubuntu10.10

http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php/GNU_Toolchain

everything seems to go well up until I get to the following

for i in *; do sudo ln -s $i `echo $i|awk -F"-" '{print $NF;}'`; done

then I get the following error

ln: accessing `*': Too many levels of symbolic links

The first time I typed it in, the second time copied and paste it in with the same results.
Has anyone else run across this kind of problem before?
Is there a work around for it?
I'm at a loss as to what to do next.
-dan

Re: GNU Toolchain- chumby1

dhockey, I have the toolchain set up on a Kubuntu 10.10 system.  I followed most of the same steps given, I believe you have an error in some other step.

From your description and the command being run, it appears you're in a wrong directory or something.  All the command does is create symbolic links to the toolchain binaries without the "arm-none-linux-gnueabi-" prefix.

What is the output of:

pwd; for i in *; do echo ln -s $i `echo $i|awk -F"-" '{print $NF;}'`; done

This doesn't attempt creating the links, it will just echo the command it is attempting to run.

(I threw the pwd in there to see that you're actually in /usr/arm-linux/bin for that step)

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

3 (edited by dhockey 2011-04-13 19:33:07)

OK here's what I get when run from /usr/arm-linux/bin

ln -s * *

-dan

I think you missed a step or something.  That is telling me bash didn't expand the glob "*" to match any files, i.e. "/usr/arm-linux/bin" is empty.  Try "rm -rf /usr/arm-linux/bin" and starting everything from the beginning again.

I removed everything and started over.
This time I copied and pasted all the commands to make sure there weren't going to be any typo's, but this time I hit a different problem

the follow worked like it should

tar xjvf arm-2008q3-72-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2

but the next command didn't

sudo mv arm-2008q3 /usr

it gave the following error

mv: cannot move `arm-2008q3` to `/usr/arm-2008q3`: Directory not empty

would I need to copy(cp) first then move(mv)?
Maybe Ubuntu10.10 uses a slightly different command from the one given in the examples, if so I haven't been able to figure it out.
Maybe this could have been the mistake I made the first time around and didn't catch it.
-dan

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 and everything worked as described.  Saying "directory not empty" implies there is already an "arm-2008q3" directory in "/usr".  I suspect you didn't remove everything when you started over, you probably only removed "/usr/arm-linux", but not "/usr/arm-2008q3".

You should look at a few quick "howtos" on linux, filesystems, and the command line.  After an error like that, you should start looking to see what directory is where.  "ls /usr" to see if there's already an arm-2008q3 directory.  If so, "ls /usr/arm-2008q3" will show you what is in that directory, it's probably the executables from the first time you attempted installation.