Topic: Couple of "can I do this via ssh" questions

I've been wandering the Wiki trying to figure these out, and have decided that I just need some more experienced input smile

1) I'm wondering if I can snooze or turn off the chumby alarm via ssh, so I can do it from across the room.

2) I'd like to also control the music from across the room via ssh, and don't quite understand the Wiki's instructions (http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php/Controlling_BTplay).  I have a USB stick full of music, with an m3u playlist, that I've also made into a "My Streams" stream.  How do I start this playing from the command line?  How do I shuffle?

I can get it to play individual mp3's, but not the playlist.  Really, I'd just like to shuffle all the mp3's on the stick, if there's an easier way.

Thanks!

Re: Couple of "can I do this via ssh" questions

Anyone?  Please?

1) Yes, see this link

2) No, you'd have to do the playlist yourself - you'd use the UserPlayer event as in the above link, but monitor the state of btplay to see if when the song is complete, then play the next one.

1) Oh, I *see*!  That's what that's for.  Okay.  Thank you!

So I've made a couple of executable files which I stuck on the usb drive that contain, for example alarm_snooze contains:
echo \<event type\=\"AlarmPlayer\" value\=\"snooze\" comment\=\"\"\/\> >> /tmp/flashplayer.event ; chumbyflashplayer.x -F1

Which seems to work.  Is this about the most effective way to do that? 

I added /mnt/usb/bin/ to my PATH manually.  Is there a .profile where I can add this more permanently?

2) I'm sorry, I really have no idea what you mean.   I have the stick full of mp3's (/mnt/usb/); I have the playlist which lists them all (/mnt/usb/default.m3u).  How do I play the playlist from the command line?  Can you please give me an example, because I don't have any idea how to use the info at the link to do that? 

I've used btplay to play an individual song, like so:
btplay /mnt/usb/Eric\ Clapton/The\ Cream\ of\ Clapton/Eric\ Clapton\ -\ The\ Cream\ of\ Clapton\ -\ 01\ -\ Cream\ %25\ I\ Feel\ Free.mp3

And btplay has options for stop playing ("btplay quit") and skip to next song in playlist ("btplay next"), and so on.  But I can't actually get it to play my playlist ("btplay /mnt/usb/default.m3u").

I'd like to be able to just start it up playing everything on the list--and shuffle, although I suppose I could just work out how to shuffle the playlist if the player itself doesn't shuffle--and let it go.  If this can be done, can you please give me an example of how?

I'm struggling a bit with the info available in the Wiki because, while I'm sure it is very clear to people with more experience with the Chumby/more programming experience, it's a little obscure to me.  I see that the information is available, but I don't quite get how to use it.  It'd be *lovely* if the various instructions contained concrete examples as well as "this is the form, this is the information, go to it."

Thank you!