Topic: Android for Chumby

I cannot seem to locate a clear answer on the web. Is there a solution for getting android os on chumby ?

P.S. Chumby kicks butt, Ive bought and used alot of products in the past but I really love my Chumby Infocast. It satisfies my tablet hunger without the outrageous price (IPad-oversized Ipod touch). Insignia is doing something right because I tried to buy others one this past Christmas and both best buys by my home were sold out! I bought my sister and brother one and they love it. Kudos guys!!  big_smile

Re: Android for Chumby

It is possible. The default 8" silvermoon kernel has android specifics built in. You will need to compile android from source. Which I am trying and it has not been an easy task. Then you will need to debug it to fix minor issues. And you will need to solve the lack of buttons I would suggest adding buttons to the open gpio's.

Thank you.. i will keep watching.

nightsbird,

What specifics have you seen built in?  I don't seem to have a /sys/power on my infocast, and the linux-2.6.28.tgz ("v 1.0.1") has no drivers/android subdirectory with binder, ashmem, lowmemkiller and all the rest.  Is there an experimental build or different kernel source?

Did they backport Donut 1.6 (2.6.29) changes to .28?  Or forward port Cupcake (Android 1.5 / kernel 2.6.27)

Also, do you know if we can modify the U-Boot env/scripts from the device?  It'd be nice to interface via nc / netconsole rather than serial or JTAG

Guys,

I would love to help debug if possible, and help in any way.  I have an 8" unit set aside totally for hacking purposes, and would absolutely LOVE to see Android on these devices - and would be happy to help!

Thanks for your efforts guys!  There are a lot of us out here hanging on your every word concerning Android running on the Infocast!

I've tried and I've surrended. Because you have only 128 MB of memory. It's not enough to make run Android decently.

Marietto wrote:

I've tried and I've surrended. Because you have only 128 MB of memory. It's not enough to make run Android decently.

You can see where I gave up two months ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAHMrPhyiHo

How far did you get?  Same flicker issues?  You are probably right the hardware is too weak.  There are much stronger $100-$150 tablets from China already running Android, so maybe this a waste of time.  Ever since I got an android phone I hardly use my Infocast, the interface is just too clumsy and the widgets so boring.

I might try again or just use OpenEmbedded and do something useful with it, but I don't really have the time.

8 (edited by Marietto 2011-04-13 00:58:21)

Actually I'm involved in the creation of a modularized mobile device. I've choosen accurately the components. From the chumby 8 I've got the enclosure,that's great and maybe the touch screen,that's good. The problem is that I need to find the drivers and I have to learn how to attach the flat cable of the touch screen to the beagle board. It's more powerful of the chumby 8 board,it's running at 1 GHZ !