1 (edited by Tegeril 2011-04-04 12:24:25)

Topic: Questions about Chumby 8

Looking for some information before I commit to the platform and buy a Chumby 8.

What does the Chumby 8 provide for information for:

• Multitouch.maxTouchPoints

• Multitouch.supportsGestureEvents

• Multitouch.supportedGestures (if it supports gesture events)

• Capabilities.maxLevelIDC

• Capabilities.hasAudioEncoder

• Capabilities.hasVideoEncoder

• Capabilities.avHardwareDisable

• System.totalMemory (only matters if it returns the amount of total memory available to a given widget [i.e.: if the amount of memory available to a widget is allocated at instantiation and the OS doesn't dynamically allocate more], less useful if it reports the entire footprint of the Flash player environment inside of which the widget runs)

Also is there an ability to pull up a soft-keyboard via AS3 (if so, is there a SWC available for compilation purposes) or does this need to be developed by the widget author?

Thanks to anyone who can get this!
Aaron

Re: Questions about Chumby 8

Below is the output against one of our engineering AS3 chumby8 builds.  The System.totalMemory is NOT reporting what is available to the widget exclusively.  Expect about 32MB to be allocated for the widget on c8 devices but this is still subject to tweaking.

2011-04-05 14:05:25 TRACE: Multitouch.maxTouchPoints: 0
2011-04-05 14:05:25 TRACE: Multitouch.supportsGestureEvents: false
2011-04-05 14:05:25 TRACE: Multitouch.supportedGestures: null
2011-04-05 14:05:25 TRACE: Capabilities.maxLevelIDC: null
2011-04-05 14:05:25 TRACE: Capabilities.hasAudioEncoder: false
2011-04-05 14:05:25 TRACE: Capabilities.hasVideoEncoder: false
2011-04-05 14:05:25 TRACE: Capabilities.avHardwareDisable: true
2011-04-05 14:05:25 TRACE: System.totalMemory: 58048512

Sorry but an AS3 keyboard SWC is not immediately available - hopefully it will be before AS3 is officially released on the c8.

Note that the C8 has a resistive touchscreen, which is why the lack of multitouch support.

Thanks very much to both of you for the info. Hopefully all of this will be useful to others too.

Out of curiosity, does the Chumby device simply translate taps into MouseEvent clicks or does it use TouchEvent (I assume MouseEvents because of Multitouch.maxTouchPoints being 0 instead of 1)? If it's TouchEvent does it support pressure? If it's MouseEvent, do we get MOUSE_DOWN in lieu of TOUCH_BEGIN?

I'm basically getting at the question of whether we can use any of the helper functionality available in Flash Lite 4 to define even completely custom implementations of gestures with single touch points (swipe). I'm guessing no. It's not a deal-breaker or anything, I'm just curious.

Also, since hasAudioEncoder comes back false/avHardwareDisable is true, how are we to use the microphone? Is that just because it's a prerelease build?

Thanks guys.