Topic: Radio won't stay "playing"; stops after a short time

I posted about this on the Widgets forum.

Chumbian suggested I have a defective Chumby One. 

No matter which items I choose to play in "radio", they stop playing (go "idle") within 5-60? minutes, and needless to say, that's with the timer NOT set.  It's impossible to leave the radio playing all day long, the way any other radio can be (and I've had 3 wifi internet radios before the Chumby, so I know this is not the way it ought to be).

In a "normal" Chumby, can you turn the radio on to a particular station, and then hit the button to get to the control panel and look at other widgets and such, but all the while the radio should keep on playing unless and until you go back into the radio section and hit "stop" (i.e. the "square"), yes?

Re: Radio won't stay "playing"; stops after a short time

Mine does this too, but I have a 3.5" Infocast.  Sometimes it will even stop playing and start beeping.    The thing is, the "Stop" button doesn't turn into a "Play" button, so it appears to still be playing when it's not.

i just got my chumby one yesterday and having the EXACT problem.  if i'm on ShoutCast it will cut out and get that stupid alarm noise.  i was told to do a restore which i did and have the same results.  i updated to latest chumby one version 1.0.7 and control panel version 2.8.73  and still have the same result.  any ideas?

The stop playing and start beeping thing, where it appears to be still playing but isn't, seems to be related to weak wireless signal. Same with the play for several minutes and then cut to Idle thing. My Chumbys all do both of these things if I take them outside, but work perfectly well indoors.
See if moving it closer to your wireless access point helps. The Chumbys seem to need a stronger wireless signal than some other devices - my laptop will stream Shoutcast perfectly outside, sitting on the same table from which the Chumbys won't work.

thanks steelpaw.  i tried connecting it to another wifi network in the area to test and it did the same thing.  i can understand if its a weak signal and it just cuts off but whats the deal with the annoying alarm beeps when it cuts out?  i contacted ross at customer support and he is issuing me a replacement.

ok, got my replacement chumby and its STILL doing the same thing....uggggh.  my laptop which sits further away has no issues streaming music from the same station.  the connection bar for wifi shows 80% the whole time on the chumby so i'm not sure why its having these hiccups.

I know Steelpaw said it's a wireless thing but my Chumby One does t and it's on wired ethernet. I think it's possibly your router dropping the connection or a problem with the stream itself.

I used to have this problem.  I assigned a static IP address to my Chumby and it does it very seldomly now.