Topic: Anyone know how to install CLI Linux "Screen" command?

I gather any Linux commands not included in the stock Chumby OS have to be compiled from source.  I'd like to have the Screen command so I can initiate a process via SSH, then close the connection and re-open the connection and come back to it later.  This would be useful for monitoring WGET downloads, media streams, etc.

Is this the most appropriate forum for CLI questions, or should I have posted elsewhere?  I have an Infoseek 8".

Re: Anyone know how to install CLI Linux "Screen" command?

I tried to install screen a while ago, but it wasn't as simple as just downloading the source and compiling it. I ended up in dependency hell, from where I never emerged. If you want to give it a try...
http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

I did the bad/lazy thing and tar'd screen up from a debian armel install:
tar cvzf /tmp/screen.tgz /usr/share/screen /usr/bin/screen /lib/libncursesw* /lib/libpam*

I'll put it up if it helps, it worked on my Infocast 8", I just unpacked it in '/'
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/268607/screen.tgz

Thanks Stephan, I'll try it tonight.

Stephan, how do I unpack anything to "/", the embedded file system is (mostly) read only.  Can I extract it to usb and run it from there?

In the Chumby tricks .pdf the following is used to make it rw:

mount -o remount,rw /

...and the following makes the partition ro again:

mount -o remount,ro /

Great, I have screen working now on my 8" Infocast.  Thanks all.  One last thing, now that I can write to /, is there a file I can edit so SSH server is enabled by default on reboot?

# touch /psp/start_sshd

Thanks Duane
BTW, in case anyone follows this link later, after copying over Stephan's screen files, I issued the "reboot" command.  After the initial startup screen, my Infocast locked with a gray screen.  Cycling Power off/n had the same result, but unplugging the power and reconnecting it let the device successfully boot.

I was able to cross-compile screen without too much work.  It required a small patch to screen's autoconf "configure.in" file as well as one additional library.  The binary it produces is statically linked, so it just runs on the Chumby.  I only tested on one of my C1s, but as long as the toolchain is the same, it should run on the other chumbies, infocast, etc.

The version posted previously from a debian armel install is about 1004 and requires some shared libraries on the rootfs (or an LD_LIBRARY_PATH) and totals at just under 1Mb.  The statically linked version I have is 605K, so it's marginally smaller.

Read about it here:
http://matmrosko.com/2011/03/22/gnu-screen-on-chumby/

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker