Topic: Emulating Chumby?

I saw some older posts suggesting that we should be put together a chumby emulator (short of the flash player).

Any update on this?  Instructions?  I would think one could set up QEMU with everything necessary?  Is there a tgz file with all the open source binaries?  Or an ISO. 

I don't imagine I'll see hw for a while (I'm pretty far down the list).

Thanks,
John

Re: Emulating Chumby?

An emulator was never constructed, mainly because of the complexity it would entail. But, for prototyping software, Qemu works well with the "Versatile" ARM configuration and for prototyping Flash, there's the Virtual Chumby. I'm not really sure there's a compelling reason to write a full emulator at this point; the hardware's going to ship very soon and most of the code people will be writing won't require complex hardware interactions to where you'll need anything more than Qemu emulating the ARM.

Re: Emulating Chumby?

You'd actually have to simulate the Freescale MX21 and its various subsystems, and other hardware specifically, plus you'd have to obtain an independent license for the Flash Lite code from Adobe, since our license only covers use on the actual hardware.

Not a project for the weak of heart.