Topic: My Channel idea

Hey everyone! I drew a sketch of a software idea. YOu download this application and it lets you edit your chumby. Right now you have to go on chumby.com do edit your widgets for your chumby. This idea gets rid of doing that. Basically, you download this application for your mac/pc. Put it onto your desktop, once you clock onto the app it brings a a new window, it shows a picture of your chumby. You can "delete" the channel that you have selected on the right side of the window, you can create a new channel, delete the whole channel, or you can get new widgets for your channel, all in this one application. As long as you have an internet connection you can edit all of these widgets and send them to your chumby. I made a sketch of it on paper, http://www.flickr.com/photos/59441326@N … otostream/

Thanks everyone!
Chandler

mmm....chumby...

Re: My Channel idea

Not that this is a bad idea, but why is it necessary? I could understand maybe if you hooked your chumby up to your computer, but honestly I don't see the difference between having it on the desktop and possibly a redesigned flash web-app.

If you're at your computer anyway, I'm not sure why launching a specific application (which we'd have to create and test for each operating system we'd want to support) is much different from simply launching a browser.

Also, you'd have to keep your local copy of widgets up to date - under the current system, when the author updates the widget, the change is reflected very quickly on all chumbys.

A hybrid approach would be to use Adobe's "Apollo" technology which allows one to create a desktop application from a web-based Flash application.

It seems like a more interesting approach would be to add some of this functionality to the chumby itself.

That would be awesome! Using something like synaptic or such connecting to a chumby widget repo would be brilliant. It could easily be built into the control panel and would add so much to making the chumby its own entity. But once again I bring up my gripe. A standardized text or otherwise data entry system needs to be added to the chumby to fully realize at least certain aspects of the chumby's potential. Don't mind my kvetching I'm just full of hot air. Good idea, and I hope to see it out someday!