Topic: Some Basic Questions

Not all of these are entirely software related, and, since its stream of consciousness, it may happen that little of it is, but since I didn't find any 'general questions' forum, I figure I'll just start it here.

I'm not sure if this was answered anywhere else, but will the Chumby have any Java support built in to the kernel? I realize the full java 6 is a little intense, but something like J2ME could be quite nice for something running @ 266MHz.

In addition to that, I noticed there was a difficulty mentioned elsewhere about MAC address validation at certain hotspots, and how they were looking for a solution, other than removing the dangle from the Chumby and using a laptop to configure it. If J2ME was running, some form of Opera Mini could be used, assuming there was a basic, on-screen keyboard built in. It might be overkill, but I think it would drastically improve functionality. The only difficulty there being the closed-nature of opera. I'm sure there are other options more suitable.

What distro of linux is Chumby running? Or is it completely original to the chumby?

I noticed that the development section lists the Alpha version running at a clock speed of 266MHz... But the main page lists the chumby at 350MHz... Is that the spec of the production version? If it is, I'll be impressed. Openmoko's phone only runs at 266, lacks wifi (although it adds a higher resolution screen and GSM connectivity, along with Bluetooth, but lacks the USB connectivity), and is being sold at $300+.

Keep in mind that while I like computers, love linux, and lust after gadgets, I'm by no means an expert. So if it sounds like i don't know what I'm talking about, its probably because I don't.

Re: Some Basic Questions

No Java (and it wouldn't be built into the kernel, either) but you can build it yourself, if you want: http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index.php/Java

Chumby is running what amounts to a custom distribution, specifically tailored for its hardware. It's really hard to call it a "distribution" (as it's not being distributed for any other devices, and it's not being distributed in its complete form anywhere but Chumby).

The MAC problem is still an interesting one, but there's no clear solution; the Chumby doesn't have a lot of storage space, so adding a web browser and any necessary widget toolkit might be overkill. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

And lastly, if the Wiki's info is correct, then yes, it is running a 350MHz processor, the newest (pin-compatible?) version of the MX21. Bunnie could probably tell you a lot more about the new hardware than anyone else here (I don't think any of the F50 have tore into their Chumbies to give us the details on the hardware yet).

Hope that helps.